Question: What are some of your best pieces of advise to someone new to the hobby?

I have a friend who is interested in putting together a system and am putting together a little guide for him, compiling information I’ve found over the years, plus some of my own personal tips and tricks. However, I am by no means the end-all-be-all of knowledge and want to incorporate information, tips, and tricks from the community - however basic they may seem - into a nice reference resource.

Without specifically naming any pieces of gear or brands (this isn’t a product recommendation question), what are some of the biggest tips, tricks, important pieces of info to keep in mind, caveats, etc. that you would have for someone new?

*side note - hopefully this post can also serve as a nice reference point for people in the future, as well!

128x128mmcgill829

Showing 1 response by bob540

So many things to consider.  I agree that the listening room is important — I would love to try Magnapan speakers but my listening room is too small to give them the spacing they need to shine.  If you must use the listening room for more than just listening (e.g., living room), and your partner isn’t fond of having equipment dominate that room, then you need to select components that fit within the room without dominating it,  There are compromises to be made unless you can afford not to compromise,

I think one should determine their budget and then select components that fit within that budget.  It makes little sense to spend a ton of money on one item and then have to skimp on the rest.  Also, you can buy better equipment used for the same money that lesser equipment costs new.

If I were to start over (and I’m fairly new to this and not at all as experienced as many members here), I would probably start with streaming music instead of purchasing “hold in your hand” media.  Unless you know that you prefer records or CD’s, or already have a lot of them, I think it is most convenient to stream music rather than buy the turntable and the CD player and the record/CD collection.  As time goes on, I find I seldom play records and play CD’s only occasionally.  I could have put the money I spent on them into a good streamer.

Good luck to your friend and yes, remember to have fun!