Question regarding the EAR 834P...

Hello all.

Ok here is the deal. I have two very nice Thorens TT's 1 is a 125 Long Base with a Denon 103r and the other is a TD-145 with an Ortofon 2M Black Cart. My dilemma is this: I have 2 turntables that serve 2 very different functions in my listening sessions. I have an EAR 834P preamp which is MY holy grail and serves my 125 with the Denon Moving Coil fulltime the other table uses a Musical Fidelity pre amp which is very good but nowhere the sound that I get from the 834P, I have had the 145/2M Black hooked up to the EAR while my 125 was being restored and it was very nice! Well finances (and my bride)does not allow for a second EAR thus my question is how ridiculous would it be to use a very high quality splitter in the back of the 834p to allow me to keep both Tables connected to the 834p even though there is only 1 input allowed? The EAR has switching for both MC and MM carts. Keeping in mind I will NOT even power on the Table that will not be in use. Thoughts? Enter your text ...

Ag insider logo xs@2xrikintpa

Showing 1 response by mb1audio02

"Keeping in mind I will NOT even power on the Table that will not be in use. Thoughts? Enter your text ..."

What Al just said. Also, not powering on your TT isn't all that relevant. That just turns the motor on and has nothing to do with the cart. So, even if the TT is off, you can still spin the record by hand and it will work. It won't sound right, of course, because there's no way you can get the proper speed spinning it manually.