question of soundstage

Why is there a wider soundstage with my sugden a21 signature than my cayin a100t tube integrated. I always thought that tube amps deliver wider soundstage.

smoky204

Maybe try some tube rolling?  When I rolled from OEM tubes on my McIntosh C220 pre to Mullard reissues, my sound stage did widen a bit.

carlsbad2

You should not speculate and write negatively if you do not know about Cayins.

My Cayin A88T was deigned in Germany, built in China: hand built, point to point. Beautiful workmanship inside and out.

This extremely positive review is why I bought my Cayin A88T which sounds terrific.

https://6moons.com/audioreviews/cayin/a88t.html

excerpt

"The Cayin 88T is the first integrated amp I’ve ever had in my system that sounds so good, I have absolutely no desire to go back to the big mono block amps and the preamp. In fact, in many ways, the Cayin sounds better!"

"No, I didn’t decide to start this review with my summation. That wasn’t me talking. That’s a famous American manufacturer speaking".

The more powerful A100T is also a terrific tube amp, 8 power tubes, individual bias pots and meter. Subsequent mark 2 and 3; and other models like the A100T have external bias adjusters and meters

What tubes are in an amp is part of the different sound between amps.

Mine came with 6550 power tubes, I changed to KT88’s. It sounded great with the 6550’s, I prefer the KT88’s.

Bias: when switching tubes, I had the bias adjusted by Steve at VAS who used to be the distributor of Cayin USA. (my mark 1 has needed 16 ohm taps, bias is internal, no meter)

I blew a 6sn7 (put in 6sl7 socket), bought a matched pair, they sounded awful. Brent Jesse let me return/try a different brand, they sound as hood as the originals.

Thus, I would wonder what tubes are in OP’s very high quality Cayin.

I guess I should try some different preamp tubes. The speakers that I am using are the Tekton lore reference.

Oh....beg y'all's pardons....

You're referring to A amps....

As the woman was prone to mention after a rant or dozen....

"Never mind..."

?

It’s not just Power Tubes.

My 6sl7’s made a big difference. (your A100t uses 1 6sn7 and 4 12AU's)

Originals: Labeled Cayin Brand, unknown maker, sounded great.

blew one (put in wrong socket), I wanted a matched pair of 6sl7’s that had a different appearance so I could not put one in the wrong socket.

Chose 6sl7WGT brownbase, chrome top, military matched pair.($80. each in 2020).

Nooooo. Wrote Brent Jesse, he had me break them in (amp on for 60 hrs, no signal needed), broke in for 3 days, still a no go.

Returned, full refund except shipping cost.

Tried 6sl7gt, General Electric, side getter, cylindrical plates ($40. each in 2020). They sound wonderful, as good as the original Cayin branded ones.

Power Tubes

My amp came with 6550 Gold Aero, they sounded great. I have a set of 6550 EH Electro Harmonix, matched when new, but used,

I wanted to try new matched KT88’s, went for KT88’s Blue JJ Electronic, I prefer them.