question for Luxman L-590AX owners

I own the subject amp, have had it for 3-4 years. I recently noticed a low hum or buzz coming from the amp itself (not the speakers), and would swear that it has been dead quiet up until now. You have to have your head right down beside it to hear it. I'd like to hear what other owners have to say. Are your amps completely quiet? Seems like I may have developed an issue. Thanks in advance, and Merry Christmas.
builder3

Showing 5 responses by kren0006

Interesting thread. Have never heard of this issue with reference to the current version L590axii, but since that amp is on my radar I’d like to know in advance if that model is also susceptible. 

Anyone know if Luxman corrected the issue with release of the L590axii, or does the hum issue arise there as well?
But OP the thread title is for L590AX, not the Mk II version that I’m asking about.

Or are you saying you have the L590AXii. ???

Edit: sorry didn’t read closely enough your last post. I guess you are saying you have the original version (not mk ii ). Got it thx
Haha, erik_squires suggested the same device halfway up the thread.

Dang the whole issue is troublesome though. I was seriously considering targeting an L590axii for my main system and an L550axii for my secondary because I know the SQ is up my alley with my Spendor speakers but now I just don’t know. This doesn’t sound like an isolated incident.

That said, I wonder how prevalent it is? Does it affect 5% of units or 40%? It’s a rhetorical question since probably only Luxman knows and sounds like they’re not talking, also troubling.

Anyway, I’ll continue to follow here and hope that tweak works out for you OP.
If other Luxman class A integrated owners have also experienced the hum, post up!
From the posts on this thread and the other one linked to above it appears it is an issue that tends to develop after years.

I took a look at the Luxman class A release history to try to guess when the new versions of class A integrateds might be released, in hopes that perhaps this issue gets addressed. But if the issue goes back to past generations, who knows if having such hope for correction is even warranted??

Anyway, near as I can tell:

L590A was released in 2005
L590Aii was released in 2010
L590AX was released in 2013
L590AXii was released in 2016

Would seem that a new release should be soon if past is prologue, given that we are now into 2021.
Yeah, no kidding. Seems like a solvable problem to say the least. C’mon Luxman, figure it out!

That’s why I really wish I knew how prevalent it was. 5% of units? 20%? 50%?

Helpful if others who have the units and have never had any buzz/hum issue post up as well. Maybe it is a very small minority? Fact that some users who've had multiple generations and all hummed could mean more widespread, or could me line issues if all happened in same house, or combo of both.  But if Luxman dealers actually admitting it is an issue, then that is more telling.  Dunno