Question concerning db sensitivity

Someone recently told me that in their experience, in general, that the higher the db sensitivity of a given speaker, the more you sacrifice in terms of sound. In other words, lower db rated speakers [ 86-88 ] typically sound better. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.
adman227
John,

Ok I understand this has simply been your experience. I misread your statement as a fact or well known "truth".

Sorry...
Considering the strength of Shadorne's position and my strong preference for high-efficiency designs (as well as many others) I'd say this is no less divisive than any other of our tussels.

I've heard lots of folks say that high efficiency designs are better (they're the underdog, after all). This is the first time I've ever heard a blanket statement that low-efficiency is inherently superior.
sensitivity has nothing to do with quality. most loudspeakers are a collection of parts drivers, box,and crossovers. A bigger box usually better low freq extension; ported around 3 dbs more efficient so on and so on BUT sensitivity definatly has nothing to do with quality.
Adman227,

For some reason I would have thought this issue was less subjective than others

Everything in audio is highly subjective, which is why I took the time to qualify my reply with a description of a couple of the general measurable issues/compromises in the choice of high or low speaker effciency. Of course, there are many more issues which can lead to many exceptions but then this would no longer be a "generalization" if we were to plunge into great details.

If this information helps guide you to choose a speaker - Great!
A "generalization" like this, however, is absolutely no substute for auditioning and narrowing your choice to speakers that you personally like the sound of, which I suspect was really John and Tvad's point.
A "generalization" like this, however, is absolutely no substute for auditioning and narrowing your choice to speakers that you personally like the sound of, which I suspect was really John and Tvad's point.
Shadorne

Yes, now you have at least my POV nailed. Keep in mind, that I myself own speakers that are 89 db efficiency. However, I have heard many excellent higher efficient speaker designs as well.

Generally, there are no generalizations in the audio hobby. No one else can tell you what sounds good to you, you just have to listen for yourself......sorry.

John