Question about how analog audio recording works

Hello!

My wife and I are high and having a discussion about how sound is recorded on records. I have an, I think, more than average understand of how sound and recording/playback works so I was trying to explain how grooves on the record represent sound waves.

What we don't understand is how polyphony is physically represented. So I can see how a single sine can easily be represented on a record. But when you're talking several sounds at once, some on the same pitch some now, dozens of timbres happening all at once, how do we differentiate those sounds on a physical medium like vinyl, or how do we represent it digitally? Is it literally nothing more than 1s and 0s? That'd be sick

Anyway, I hope this makes sense. Thanks!

maynovent

I think you should just burn another one and contemplate the universe! Are we living in the matrix? That ought to keep your brain occupied for a while. Or you could just put on some early Pink Floyd and try to figure out the meaning.

My wife and I are high and having a discussion about how sound is recorded on records. I have an, I think, more than average understand of how sound and recording/playback works so I was trying to explain how grooves on the record represent sound waves https://showbox.bio/ .

What we don't understand is how polyphony is physically represented. So I can see how a single sine can easily be represented on a record. But when you're talking several sounds at once, some on the same pitch some now, dozens of timbres happening all at once, how do we differentiate those sounds on a physical medium like vinyl, or how do we represent it digitally? Is it literally nothing more than 1s and 0s? That'd be sick

i got this...

It’s all compression and rarefaction of air and its conversion by transducers. It’s the brain that decodes the music.

@mahgister , WELCOME BACK! I won't ask where you have been, curiosity can be fatal. 

This is not a problem of math. Math is a way of describing the problem. I believe it is a problem of conception not a problem in and of itself. It is reality and the proper use of electrons, physics and acoustics by people who can conceive of these issues. The beautiful thing about humans is we all have different talents. My understanding of math is very limited, but I can design in my head what people think is beautiful furnisher. 

Enjoy the Music and forget about the questions. Curiosity is fatal. 

Thanks for your kindness mijostyn ,

I was sometimes rude when we discussed in the past... I am too much passionnate and not so wise ...i am happy to be welcome by you... And i am happy to discuss with you even if we will differ of opinion in the future...but very opposite perspective are helpful to us and to all ..

I was sad and very busy selling my house then loosing my acoustic room depressed ... This impacted my health...I sell the house by force not by my own free will... My new house is smaller... No acoustic dedicated room... 😥

Then i decided to go back to headphone not so happily because my room was spectacular...and none of my headphones ( 9 ) ever pleased me except the last one i never optimized because of my room spectacular acoustic..

but i stumbled on this headphone not easy to figure out and i take 6 months of daily listenings experiments to modify and optimize it ( 6 modifications) ...Surprizingly , it goes under 30 hertz and then the soundfield i reach rival my speakers which stayed at 45 hertz or 50 at most...The AKG K340 is the top headphone of 1978 and is always top today ( modulo optimization) It is not an headphone i will advise to everybody bec ause you must be ready to open it and to created a DEDICATED system only fot it ...

I lost my "mechanized equalizer" 😁 but i used an electronic equalizer as you do yourself to optimize once for all the k340 my hybrid headphone...This k340 is the most difficult headphone and the most picky ever to drive and i even read the Dr. Gorike patent to figure it out how to optimize it ...

Then my house sold, my health coming back , my new audio system ready, i missed all people here and decided to go back...

I wish you with my heart the best possible for you and your family...

@mahgister , WELCOME BACK! I won’t ask where you have been, curiosity can be fatal.