Quad 2805 Toe In Experience?

I am just breaking in my new pair of 2805's. I have never had Quads or any electrostats before...always dynamic driver speakers. While they only have about 20 hours on them, I think they are going to be excellent...everything I hoped for!

They are about 4.5' out from the front wall, about 10' apart (from speaker centers) and about 9' from speaker to listening seat. My listening room is 16' X 13' with a 9' ceiling. The speakers are about 1.5' from each side wall and there is diffusion on the side walls and behind the listening seat.

My question is how much should I toe them in? I am looking for the right balance of image specificity and soundstage width. Right now they are toed in about 1/2 way between firing straight ahead and directly pointing at the listening position.

I plan to do much more experimenting. But before I install the spikes, I would greatly appreciate learning from others experience with Quads.

Thanks,

Dave
tricon_dave

Showing 1 response by newbee

I listened to my Quads (63's) about 5 degrees off axis, i.e. axis crossing behind the head. My set up distances were very similar to yours except I was a about a foot further back (in a longer room). Don't forget with Quads diffusion on the wall behind the speaker to handle the back wave properly is very important. Less so on the side wall 1st reflection points.