Qobuz or Tidal?

Qobuz or Tidal? And why?

Aurender, good DAC, no MQA. US.
jaybe

Showing 2 responses by arthur1260

Hi, I didn't want to start a new thread as I found this. I had 3 months of cheap Tidal, but since it expires tomorrow I wanted to check out Qobuz. I transferred my "test track" playlist from Tidal to Qobuz and started listening. I hear an immediate improvement in detail, bass clarity, separation. How can this be? I thought these services are "bit perfect".
I use a Lumin D1 DAC which can do MQA as well, and I have upsampling to DSD turned on. For MQA upsampling doesn't work though, however, my test tracks are mostly non-mqa anyway. I previously noticed an improvement with Tidal from no upsampling. But now I'm amazed at how good qobuz sounds on the same songs. I'm really surprised. Are these services using the same "original" sources? Why is there a change in quality? Does it have to do with integration between the Lumin and the particular service? Or am I hearing things?:)
Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know the technical reason why one sounds different than the other? It’s a bit weird to me, are the streaming services altering the original files in any way?