PS Audio IRSV selling

Paul McGowan is selling his Infinity IRSV speakers for $70,000  Any takers?

https://youtu.be/1OdkRiwmYbE

128x128fertguy

I don't agree with the thought that these vintage speakers.  They are vintage cabinets.  The woofers and their amps are modern so are the crossovers.

The EMIM's were updated with modern versions of the diaphragms by Corydon Johnson and the EMITs have replacement diaphragms (and I assume updated magnets).

I never listened to Paul's updated ones but I have listened to some originals and they are amazing.

I heard the PS Audio IRSs on a visit to Boulder about 5 years ago. They were as expected, an immense soundstage, great dynamics, and huge presence. Line arrays in general are not my cup of tea, but I still enjoyed these historic and quite grand speakers.

I brought a 30-something year old, non-audiophile colleague with me to the demo. He asked one of the best questions I’ve ever heard in a demo, “how does it know where to put the voices and instruments?” I found this to be a fascinating question and one that ignited a good deal of explanation (to the best of my ability!)

Paul McGowan, Arnie Nudell, and the mighty Infiniity Reference Standards are integral parts of our audiophile history.

These speakers could have sold for $100k+, they are that good.  The big key with these is the very professional upgrades to them.  You couldn’t buy all the upgrade time and material that’s been incorporated into these for $100k.  I hate to tinker with issues that come with vintage equipment, so these would be perfect for me.  I actually floated the idea of buying these with my much saner wife.  As expected, she was not overly thrilled with the idea, despite adequate finances and room size.  As an Infinity fan for all my adult life (now retired and owner of Infinity Epsilons), these are the mountaintop.  I fell in love with the sound from the Infinity planar magnetic drivers (technically a variant of a ribbon driver) and the crisp, tight and deep base that I didn’t find in any other speakers.  Just as well I didn’t jump on these.  Someone else saved me all the logistical issues that come with packing, shipping, and installing a 1,200 lb speakers system.  It’s not like the old days where you get a bunch of friends together and buy them pizza and beer to move your stuff.