PS Audio DirectStream DAC measurements by ASR

ranjithkp

Showing 3 responses by oldschool1948

@ djones51.  You are entitled to your perspective, and you are completely wrong about why I posted on ASR.  I knew nothing about ASR before my post, but clearly should have, nor about this thread until after it. I have never nor would I ever intentionally "troll" a site.  To be honest, I'm a little offended that you'd insinuate that about me.    
Moving on.  Over the last couple of days, I've begun to really enjoy my DirectStream DAC.  I had to made gain setting changes to smooth out the sound.  Herron VSTP3A(r02) gain on low; NAD M22v2 gain on low; and DSD gain set to high.  

I've also noticed a big difference between a USB input from a network media player (Innous Zenith MKII) versus a Coax input from a CD transport (McIntosh MCD7008).  All other things being equal, Coax is several db louder, slightly more detailed, and a bit harsher than USB.  USB is warmer, which sounds best to me.  My opinion of the DSD.  So far so good!
I ignored their help because I didn't ask for it, nor do I believe I need it.  I don't understand how anyone can buy a high-end (expensive being relative) stereo component without having read reviews from a variety of sources to narrow the field, and auditioning the equipment in their system.  I value the opinion of folks here and members of the DC Audio club over most on-line reviews.  

Hence, I could care less about scientific measurements posted on ASR, or anyone's opinion of my evaluation methods especially their admin who wrote:
As to your trial, if you don't hear the distortions I heard with this DAC, I suggest learning to compare gear better as your ears are not working for you.

My ears work fine.  And when I have folks over listening to one of my systems, no one has ever asked me about how anything measures or commented on distortion.  But they have commented on how good my systems sound. 

The DirectStream DAC that ASR seems to hate sounds really good in my system. It is more detailed than the Audio Mirror DAC, which I really like.  My Mytek Liberty DAC is also quite detailed, but the DSD is more revealing without the glare.  I arrived at these facts based on hearing not on measurements, and to me there is nothing subjective about it.
@ arancano  + 1.  I made the mistake of posting this on the ASR site a couple of days ago.  Silly me.

I just joined this forum today. I read with interest many of the comments in this thread regarding the DirectStream DAC's not so glowing specs. I've only had a few DACs in all of my more than a few years on this earth, but, when making a buying choice, I let my ears decide rather than digging into the spec weeds to decide. In other words, I'm more concerned about a DAC's capabilities and what it sounds like in my system. I just ordered a DirectStream DAC yesterday. I've got thirty days to evaluate it; and if I don't like the synergy, I'll send it back. But, I'm pretty confident that I will like it.

My post starts on page 70.  You might be interested in the back and forth between me and a few ASR regulars.  I finally gave up and stop responding because I knew anything I said was pointless; and to be honest, some of their condescending and hateful posts were beginning to piss me off.

I received the DSD yesterday.  I'm burning it in, and will start A/B tests with my Audio Mirror Tubadour III SE DAC in a week or so.  I like the Tubadour DAC a lot.  I'm anxious to see if the DSD sound is worth the additional cost.