PS Audio BHK 300 mono VS Modwright KWA 150SE mono VS D'agostino Classic stereo

What would you consider the best option of these 3 to build a reference level system.
Any experience with these amps would be appreciated.
I'm also considering higher end gear but if budget does not allow i will stick to these 3 options.

Thieliste
128x128thieliste

Showing 2 responses by tomcy6

Theiliste, I would read the Stereophile review of the Ypsilon and check out the measurements. I don’t know much about your Theils, but a demanding speaker does benefit from a doubling down of power down to 2 ohms. It can result in a more relaxed sound (maybe that’s less distortion created as the speaker's impedances goes low) that makes listening more enjoyable.

Of course, every system is different and the best way to decide is to listen in your home, so you’re good there. I would check out the Stereophile measurements though, and consider how this may apply to your speakers.

I think you’ve made your point Charles and we all agree. Listening is the best way to choose an amp but specs are not meaningless. The only remaining problem is that sometimes you need to listen for weeks or months to really get the sound of an amplifier and decide it’s the right one. I don’t think Thieliste’s dealer will be willing to hang out that long.