Protecting speakers in home theatre application?

I have an Adcom preamp and amp (GFP-565, GFA-535 II) driving a set of B&W Nautilus 804s. I am considering using this with a new TV via a (yet to be purchased) DAC, but I am wondering whether driving the speakers with TV / movie audio with non-music, non-voice special effects audio audio risks damage to the speakers. This includes signal drop-outs / and static-bursts since the HDTV tuner will be over the air broadcast rather than cable.

I looked for prior discussions but did not find them. Any thoughts or pointers to other discussions?

One final comment- I care most about music, not TV and movies, which I just need to hear. I’m not trying to build a theatre. So, I’m hoping to get a rather cheap DAC and maybe a cheap line-level pre-amp with a remote volume control. These components could also be a worry. To be clear, the setup would be to take the digital TV signal via toslink to a DAC; take the line level from the DAC by RCA to the in-line volume control and from there to an AUX in of the Adcom preamp. For music, my CD player goes into another input of the Adcom pre-amp and is free of all this new nonsense...just CD, Adcom pre-amp, amp, and speakers.
efrank

Showing 1 response by dhl93449

I have a pair of B&W 804S connected to my TV/Ht system, driven by a Cambridge Audio 840 pre-amp and a Parasound HCA1500 DC coupled poweramp.

My DVD Blu-Ray is an Oppo 95.

I generally do not have problems with most materials, except for a recent playing of the movie Interstellar. The subsonic energy is so high in level for some scenes I thought my bass drivers were being damaged. The ports were puffing out air like you would not believe. In some of the loudest passages, the bass drivers were rattling.

This could obviously be damaging to the bass drivers.

How to protect them?

a) Use a subsonic filter. Not easy to find these days and they do impact the SQ in the audio range.
b) Use a foam ball in the ports. This will raise the lower frequency response point (unfortunately) but will prevent violent excursions in the bass drivers.
c) lower the volume levels (what I did). Not the best solution either.