Primaluna EVO 300 Integrated or Separates?

Hello,

I am looking for advice on an age old question: separates or integrated. I currently use an Audible Illusion 3A with a factory upgraded Audio Prism Debut II amplifier (4 - EL 34s @ 35 watts per channel) and home built versions of the Swan Allure speakers (93 dB efficient).

With speakers that efficient, should I expect to hear much loss in scale or dynamics going with the EV0 300 integrated or Dialogue Premium integrated, as opposed to separates? Should I expect a lost of resolution with an integrated amp? Has anyone specifically auditioned a Primaluna integrated against separates on efficient speakers? 

The choice for me is not strictly about cost. I would do the upgrade to an integrated now. With separates, I would upgrade the 3A to a 3B then eventually upgrade the Debut amplifier.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions,
Drew
drewharty

Showing 3 responses by charles1dad

Hi facten,

I took a look at your system page. You have a very nice audio system and I'm certain it sounds quite wonderful.

Charles

Hi devilboy,

As you
I suspect if could be a case of poor quality tubes in your particular Raven amplifier. On the other hand it’s certainly possible the amplifier just is not a good match with your Nola speakers (it happens). The Hegel seems to be a very good fit for your speakers. I would not be surprised if the Line Magnetic 805ia (48 watts of pure class A SET)  (or their 845 tubed amps) paired very well with your NOLAs. I can understand your happiness with the Hegel.

Terrific sound with your speakers.

You can leave it on 24/7

No tube expense/replacement concerns.

I do get the feeling you’d hear an exceptionally natural and involving sound with the LM 805ia driving the NOLA. I know you are in a good place sonically with your current system set up, congratulations.

Charles

I have no dispute with those who recommend Primaluna  as a good amplifier option. I do believe that n
query makes a strong point regarding the Line Magnetic (LM)  508a or 805a options. This is a pure class A SET using DHT 300b tube to drive the 805 DHT output tubes. This amplifier is in a different tier of performance/sound quality IMHO. 

The USA distributor is the highly regarded Tone Audio Imports. LM is a very viable choice to give some consideration to.

Charles