PrimaLuna Evo 200 underwhelming

Hi all, I wonder if someone can help or advise. I bought an ex. Display Primaluna Evo 200 a couple of weeks ago, mainly based on all the rave reviews and excellent comments on various forums. I must say, that vocals are terrific but overall, the sound seems muffled. There seems to be a hole where the mid range detail should be. I have tried the 4 and 8 ohm settings and there doesn’t seem a great deal of difference. I am using it with a Linn Genki CD player and Robson Acoustics Opulus speakers, also Vintage Tannoy Mercury speakers. I haven’t messed with the tubes because I have no idea how to do that. I so want this amplifier to sound beautiful but there is something missing. Can anyone help please?
golfnut2

Showing 2 responses by three_easy_payments

Which tubes are you running right now? The issue may be synergy with your speakers which are 86dB and dip down as low as 5 ohms - not an ideal match on paper with EL34 amp.  You may want to try a fresh set of power tubes (I'd go for EL34's as I know the amp accommodates  6L6G, 6L6GC, 7581A, EL34, EL37, 6550, KT66, KT77, KT88, KT90, KT120, and KT150.)
@golfnut2  

the sound seems muffled. There seems to be a hole where the mid range detail should be.

I assumed you have tried your Robson speakers with other amps and they didn't have these negative characteristics?  If so, what amps have sounded good when paired with your Robsons?  Just trying to see if it's a topology synergy thing in play here.