Preamp suggestions, yes again

I know these types of topics come up very often but here's another.

I'm looking for a preamp for my system. I currently use an Onkyo TX-SR705 as a pre. I have Klipsch RP-600M bookshelf speakers fed by a diy First Watt Aleph J amp. 

I'm looking at the Odysey Candela and the Van Alstine Vision SLR to start. I'd like to stay around this price point or lower.

I do not need phono but a remote is a must have. Obviously I'm open to ss or tubes. Thoughts on the two in considering? Other suggestions? 
128x128markf31
The Don Sachs would be an excellent choice but it appears the OP has a budget closer to $1K. 
Conrad Johnson PFR. There's one on US Audio Mart for $1500, new caps, refurbished by CJ guy Bill Thalman. No phone, as you like, plus a remote.
frank van alstine and klaus bunge are two stalwarts in made in usa hi fi amplification (though klaus has ties w symphonic line of germany)

hard to go wrong with either of their products, i have first hand experience

from my experience, klaus has a slightly more sophisticated sound (lil more silky mids and highs) and frank’s stuff is very transparent but not at all harsh

their production values and design are superb, not big marketers, but just wonderful products and people, no BS all substance, klaus can be a lil more edgy in his dealings with you but he means well and usually delivers

frank is just a prince, one of the best guys in audio
If you built your own amps, you might consider building your pre too. Here's a link to the kit don Sachs uses to make his machine... Right around your $1k budget: http://www.tubes4hifi.com/SP14.htm