Preamp match for my First Watt F-7 amp.

Currently running the amp with my Quicksilver line stage preamplifier, I almost have to max out the volume to get decent sound.Any suggestions at around 1000k thx

pedropacas

Hi,

what is the sensitivity and impedance of your speakers?  At 20w@8ohm/30w@4ohm the F7 will be a problem with low sensitivity speakers, or perhaps speakers with 16ohm impedance. 

The ones I had with my F7 were the Manley Shrimp (tube pre with low output impedance), Wyred4Sound STP-SE stage 2 (mostly no gain), and DIY Pass B1 (no gain). I wish I’d had the eastern electric minimax or LTA MZ2 I have now, I think those would have been my favorites, with the wyred and shrimp coming next (but it’s all system-dependent! I have Devore Nines speakers, at 91db FYI).

thanks for your suggestions My speakers  areTriangle Bro-3 ,90db 8 ohms my sources are David Hafler tuner,Nakamichi cassette deck and a Audiolab 6000n streamer

With 90db speakers the 18db gain from the Quicksilver line stage should be more than enough to drive the First Watt amp as loud as you can stand.  I suggest you check your connections especially the output level on the Audiolab streamer.