Preamp for McCormack DNA-125 Gold? Budget $2k

Any ideas for a preamp match for my McCormack DNA-125 Gold upgrade? It is actually just short of Gold (I didn't have $1750 to spend on the upgrade, but did have $1500, so it is close). My speakers are Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signatures (not very demanding). I have been using a CJ PV5a preamp: not the best unit, I know.

My budget is $2000 used (or new). Should I pursue a balanced preamp and then consider getting the amp upgraded with balanced IC's as well? That adds another $500 to the cost of the amp, but I could always do it at a later date.

My other option would be to sell the McCormack and get a good integrated for $3500 used. Not having heard any good ones, I don't know if this would best a decent preamp and the DNA-125 Gold.

My musical tastes tend to be classical and jazz.
chiho

Showing 2 responses by 4yanx

My DNA-225 Platinum, matched with a Bent NOH passive, sounds both transparent and dynamic through Vandersteen 5's. As I've mentioned previously, the only amp upgrade I'd really consider is monoblocking with a second 225. I'd also like to try the new McCormack pre.
I should have said that I'd like to try the new SMc Audio pre (designed by Steve McCormack), NOT a new McCormack (of Virginia) pre.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1232331348&/SMc-Audio-VRE-1-reference-prea