Preamp for Bryston 4b3 & Tannoy Cheviots

I recently upgraded my amplifier from a Parasound A23+ to a Bryston 4B3 and upgraded my speaker cables to my Tannoy Cheviots to good effect. Before this upgrade, the other upgrade I’d been considering was to upgrade my Parasound Holo P6 preamp. Now that I have done the amp upgrade, I am starting to wonder what paired with the Bryston might make an additional increase in sound quality. I listen to a wide variety of rock music, a lot of roots music, Jazz and singer songwriters. I see a lot of music live, and having real instruments sound as real as possible and breadth and three dimensionality of soundstage are the goals I would like to maximize. I primarily stream music and have a separate DAC and digital reclocker so I am primarily looking for a pre where I am not paying for an on board DAC. A phonostage is also of no current value to me.  Though I have 1000 LPs in the garage, I haven’t had a turntable in years, and am reluctant to add an analog element to my system whose quality would be proportional to the other elements of my system. I have a large number of cds, but rarely play them. Similarly, I have no use for a bunch of home theater features and connections as my system is only for music.

I note the relatively new Bryston BP-19 is analog only and I assume would be a good mate to their amp. However, I haven’t found any in-depth reviews of it. I was also pondering the Primaluna Evo 300 or 400, but one of my dealers has been cautioning me against the long term expense and hassle of tubes. I’m thinking I might be able to spend around $6000 if it made a significant improvement in sound quality.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

The details of my system are as follows:

Amp: Bryston 4B3 300 w x 2

Pre:   Parasound Halo P6

Speakers: Tannoy Cheviots, Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9 gauge biwired cables (21’ run)

Digital Streamer/Source: Heavily modified BlueSound NODE 130 (added Fidelity Audio clock board & LPSU)/ Innuos Phoenix USB/ Gustard X26 Pro DAC (connected by Shunyata Alpha USB cables.

All other interconnects: Synergistics Research Foundation or better

Power: Power conditioner: Synergistics Research Powercell 10 SE Mk 3 w SR Atmosphere level 3 cord; All power cords SR Foundation

My listening room is also known as my wife’s living room. Please no suggestions as to room

corection as I have no control over the room. The speakers are on the 14 foot wall at the front of the house, and although the living room is 16 foot deep, it flows into a dining room space where the ceiling lowers. There are also a couch and windows on the left side, and interior wall on the right (where the TV and stereo system components are).

lloyd1969

@aricaudio  Wow.  Getting fully-balanced architecture and several upgraded parts for only $1100 more for the XL seems like quite a bargain.  What specific performance differences do you hear in going from the Mk.II to the XL?

@soix I don’t want to derail the OP’s thread, I was just hoping to clarify the balanced nature of the ML XL, but in short the XL has more refinement and detail while still retaining the natural flow and harmonics of the ML II. Again the ML II will have these refinements as well. Best, Aric

LTA microZOTL is an excellent preamp. Tubes last up to 10,000 hours, and are not expensive to replace. They have a 14 day return policy. Trust me, it won’t take 14 days to see how good it is. 

IF you are thinking tube, be aware of the impedance mismatch. Should make you look to a Supratek.  (I own a 4b3 but not a Supratek)

The Motherload reviews great, but probably loses me based on it having 2 chassis that sit side by side rather than stack. My wife says I already have enough boxes on top of the cabinet that supports her TV, and if it won't go inside the cabinet where the current pre is, it's a non-starter. :(

However, when I just realized on taking a 2nd look that the Benchmark LA4 seems a really good value, assuming I like it, at $3050. I see why YYZSantaBarbara is moving to the BM HPA4, as for just $550 more you get a great headphone amp included in the same line stage pre.  I don't use headphones at all currently, but looking towards (semi-) retirement in a few years, I can see myself using one late at night when other folks are sleeping. Much cheaper than the Bryston BP-19 that seems to have comparable specifications.