Preamp DAC for my Thiel 7.2 ML333

Hi, I'm looking for suggestions on matching preamps and DACs for my ML333 driving the Thiel 7.2 with Transparent Reference cables. Due to upcoming new audio standard, I would rather not buying a CD transport now. I can use my DVD player as a CD transport. Thanks.
tai

Showing 1 response by gundam91

You've got yourself half of a reference level system there. I think all the suggestions above are all valid, except the Audio Alchemy one. (No punt intended) but it's like buying a Porsche 911 and putting in a Volkswagon Jetta engine.

My system consists of ML 333 + Transparent Ultra + Thiel 3.6. For preamps, I would suggest compare the ML 380s and the Audio Research Ref 2 MkII and BAT VK50 SE. You might find with the all-Levinson setup too lean with the Thiels, especially with the 333. In that case, ARC and BAT might be better choices. (I've opted for the ARC with NOS tubes over the ML 380S)

Regarding the digital front ends, I would suggest that you not worry about the new audio standards/formats. If you have a considerable collection of CDs, it would be wise to invest in a good CD playback system. The ML 37 is an excellent transport, and it can be had on the used market for an excellent price. There are some good DACs out there to consider for good prices also, Sonic Frontier, ML would be my recommendation. In any case, you can have a decent front end for under US$3000, if you buy used or demos. Good luck! Of course, there are many options, but I can't think of any worth mentioning that would be cheaper.