Pre for VAC Auricle Musicbloc 70/70

On a bit of an impulse I have purchased a used pair of VAC Musicbloc 70/70's and - since I am currenty running an integrated - I need advice on a pre-amp to mate with these amps. My budget is around $2500 new or used. My only must-haves are a remote volume control and a second pre-out to run a sub. Instincts tell me I would prefer a tubed pre. As an FYI, this particular pair of VAC's has the option of both SE and balanced inputs.

Presently, I am seriously considering the Dodd battery powered preamp, but I can't find any specs on the unit, i.e. output impedence, etc. (also I know it does not have a balanced output option). I am also considerng the Audio Horizon 2.1, the Modwright SE/Signature or - perhaps the obvious choice - a used VAC Standard that is currently for sale here on the 'Gon.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
cruz123

Showing 2 responses by cruz123

Thanks to all.

Sherod, I don't have the amps yet, but once I have them I may take you up on your offer to pick your brain from time to time. Thanks for the recommendations on the cables, tubes, and the promethean. For the short term, I will have to make do with the cables I have - mostly Acoustic Zen. I'm using a KT88 integrated now and have several quads of current production tubes on hand for comparison sake.

Jmcgrogan2 - Thanks for the advice. I plan to use the volume control in Opus 21 to fill the preamp role initially, but will seek out a preamp for comparison sake before making a final determination on the amps.

Fjn04 - I picked up these amps used, so they are not current production. Your Phi 300.1 is a grade or two above the Auricle Musicblocs. I'm sure you will enjoy that beautiful amp!

I'm just short of analysis paralysis, but I believe I have decided to try the Dodd preamp. The reviews have been good and it fills all of my needs with the exception of a balanced output. I have been intrigued by battery power for a while and would like to satisfy my curiosity of the benefits of going "off the grid". Dodd is currently discounting them, so it seems like a good time to jump. I'll report back with my findings.
I ordered the Dodd. My curiosity got the better of me. I'll report back in a few weeks after everything is settled in.