VAC Musicbloc 160 amps (Any experiences?)

These amps came up for sale locally and I wonder if anyone has experience with them. There are no reviews online or even forum discussion.

smodtactical

Long ago I had Auricle 70 musicblocs (about half the 160’s in price & power), and have been curious about 160s at times. Almost went for a set a few years ago, but ended up buying new pair of 200iQ’s lol. From what I understand (a friend asked VAC for their opinion) they’re a lot better than the Auricle 70s (which I would hope so - the 70s were OK) but a long ways from 200iQs. Probably a ways away from even a single 200iQ. With nice looking single 200iQs down to what, $7K used, I think it would necessarily need to be under 4K to represent good value. But I’m just speculating. If I were on that kind of budget in the market for an amp, I’d definitely give them a look.

One more data point: I loaned that friend my 200iQs, he had a Phi 200 at the time, and reported that a single 200iQ substantially bettered it, and that two 200iQs substantially bettered THAT (I've heard the improvement from 2 in my own system). Unfortunately for our wallets, VAC amps get better and pricier as time goes on. 

@mulveling thanks bro... are the 200iqs warm and rich or more linear with a slight touch of colour ?

@smodtactical

They’re warm and rich without going too far off the reservation. Still really good detail and clarity. I really dig it. I haven’t aimed for "dead neutral" for a long time. VAC really nails their voicing of components.

ARC for example is more neutral while still keeping a touch of sweetness (like you described), but the last several months I’ve been gravitating harder to the VAC perspective.

Ya I am going for warmth and richness for tube amps. Something like cj sound so this seems like a contender.

I love the top end VAC equipment also but am quite happy with the BAT Rex II Preamp and a pair of BAT Rex II mono amps driving a pair of Wilson Alexx’s. Does a great job. I can see upgrading to VAC Statement series someday but i’m happy for now with a taste of what that top end VAC can deliver for a lot less money.

George

I think you should consider a shootout vs. all the audio gear that has ever been produced...