Praise for DacMagic

Just wanted to give some very positive feedback for the Cambridge Audio DacMagic DAC. It doesn't seem to get much attention around these forums, but I am enjoying it immensely. In my opion, terrific value for the money.

During the past few weeks, I have used it with great success both within a PC music server and 2-channel environments.

Who knows, I may end up switching it out for a better DAC in the future, but for now I am quite pleased.

As a side note, I was not impressed with it at first when used to enhance an NAD C541 CDP. On a whim, I switched out the NAD for a modest Sony DVD player that is around 5-7 years old. Then, everything came into place and the music was rich and detailed. The Sony DVD/DacMagic combination blew the doors off the NAD/DacMagic combination. Go figure...
Ag insider logo xs@2xheadshrinker2
Hola,
I'm thinking about using a Dacmagic to run a Rotel RCD 991 AE. Does anyone have experience with this set up? Is the cd player already as good as I'm going to get? It's currently being played through a CA 840a via XLR cables.

I listen to vinyl about 95% of the time. I'm trying to bring some cds back from the dead. The dither on the Rotel has improved the sound/fatigue factor (especially compared to my old NAD 521BEE), but the warmth of vinyl still reigns supreme.

I'd like to be confident that the $400 leap is worthwhile. Eventually, I'd also like a Wadia dock to improve sound from the iPod for playlists during parties. However, the Wadia is another future purchase and is of secondary concern.

Thanks for any help,
T.
I've had a bunch of Dacs now and for various reasons. These include Musical Fidelity x3 dac, PS Audio III, Grace M902 Chinese made Matrix, and now the DacMagic. Each has its own character and I mainly used them to play thourgh my computer set up but also tried it out in my main system that is all Simaudio with Wilson Sophia 1 speakers. I think the Dacmagic is the best value by far. My favorite remains the Grace M902 but I sold it since I don't used it much and I sold it to buy the Matrix and the Dacmagic and still have money left over. The musical fidelity was nice and warm but too many things need (power supply, cords) to sound good. The PS Audio was sold to get the Grace and I liked it as well but I think the DacMagic is second only the Grace. The Grace is much more analytical while being very dynamic and had excelelnt bass. The DacMagic is more lush and I don't mind it with the Wilson speakers. I mainly use it to upgrade the sound coming from my 500gb Apple TV.
I use my DACMAGIC with a Cambridge Audio 550C CD Player. I bought the DACMAGIC to upgrade an old NAD 541 unit, ¡but the NAD died suddenly!

After some months using the DacMagic, I think that the differences that the DAC may produce are subtle (using it with a good transport), these are more noticeable with human voices, then a lesser degree with acoustic instruments (like piano, guitar, ...). Then, the differences are much less noticeable, almost imperceptible when compared to electric instruments (like the rock music in general).

What I hear, especifically better with the combination 550C/DACMAGIC is simply more detail, more textures, better definition and enhanced image, and even I fell a more airy sound. In contrast to the 550C alone, I hear a thud sound, as if the speakers were covered by a thin pastic.

I need to clarify something: the Cambridge 550C is an excellent CD player, most people could live with the 550C very happy without an external DAC. I thank that sound of the 550C is better than my old died NAD 541 (if my listening memory don't lie to me, due to the fact that I wast not able to compare both CD players)
NOW - MAKE IT SING - like a much more expensive unit !!!!

Before I start - make sure you read the WARNING!

OK - Had this unit for a while now and been happy with it - especially streaming via an Apple TV - better sound than my CD!

But I had noticed that the unit and power supply runs a little warm - that usually means it's being taxed a little.

So I started looking at upgrading the power supply, which is not easy since all third party units are generally DC and this requires AC!

Then I had a moment of enlightenment - LOW VOLTAGE LIGHTING!

They use a 12 volt supply - only thing is, the units you can buy (for the garden) have timer crap on them

WARNING: DO NOT - I repeat DO NOT use the latest "electronic transformers" being used in the lighting industry - because they may not produce a true SINE WAVE!

If you can find a proper electrical supply store you can buy IRON CORE lighting transformers - mine is rated 100VA and comes with a heavy steel enclosure approximately 3x6x2.5 inches.

You then need some 16 gauge copper wire and a DC connector (it;s what those little plugs are called). I also included an fuse in the 120v side

Whole thing cost about $50 + my time - but the difference in the details and soundstage was incredible.

Now I'm not sure why CA does not provide a larger power supply - it would cost them peanuts. guess they want to sell you higher end product

REPEAT WARNING: DO NOT - I repeat NO NOT use the latest "electronic transformers" being used in the lighting industry - because they may not produce a true SINE WAVE!

Torroidal transformers would be even better since they are more efficient and far less noisy

Yes, it hums a little, but once I placed some plastic foam under the cover and some rubber feet it was not detectable from my armchair.

This is by far the enhancement with the largest impact I have ever made - like stepping up to $5000 cd player.

Spacious sound, incredible imaging in 3D, amazing details never before heard

I used the power supply from the DACMAGIC on my CA 640p phono stage and guess what - similar improvements we attained!

Both these units needed... MORE POWER!
Riley804 thought I should include the following to address concerns about messing with power supplies...

A piece of equipment will only draw the power it has been designed to draw - increasing the power rating of the supply will NOT affect this - increasing the voltage will!

e.g. In north america small appliances of different power ratings are all connected to the same power supply - which is generally rated at 15amps - my alarm/radio does not draw 15 amps - probably closer to 0.5 amps, but it is perfectly happy connected to a 15 amp service :-)

Also - if your power supply is rated at 1 amp then you assume that's all it will draw. if it draws more than 1 amp, then the power supply will overheat

Most ratings are continuous, but with hi-fi you have to be able to handle serious peaks in the music and if your power supply cannot do this then you get heat generated, which in turn, causes a whole host of other problems.

All I have done is provide a supply with a higher current rating so the equipment can now handle those peaks - that is all!

Another thing I found is that the CA power supplies were not very accurate - the phono supply measured 16+ volts and the DACMagic measured 14.5 volts

Also - the 22 gauge wire on their supply is no where near large enough to handle the continuous and more importantly peak current draw of this unit!

The new supply I am using measures 13 volts - which is much closer to the 12 volt spec

One thing I have found is that the DACMagic runs considerably cooler with the new power supply - and that is goodness for a unit of this power rating.

Why? - it is likely that the circuit is now getting the current is requires in order to operate as it was designed and is not in a continual state of "stress"

Using an underrated power supply to restrict performance, as appears to be this case, is very dangerous - a fire hazard!

Granted - CA does not want people messing with power supplies...
1. because most people have a complete lack of understanding regarding power ratings - an underrated supply becomes a fire hazard
2. the consequences of putting an incorrect type of supply on equipment would be damaging - The reason for my "WARNING"

They have a blanket policy - Don't mess with our supplies! - it's just so much simpler than an explanation!

What I cannot understand is why CA limits the electronics that has such great potential if properly supplied with power - probably cost related, but could be, they wanted to reign in the performance of this unit so it does not compete with their more expensive line. Guess what - it competes!

This unit is sounding far from stressed right now :-))

BTW - I would caution that you DO NOT try this unless you are adequately experienced - failing to take the proper precautions can lead to equipment failure or worse - FIRE!

Be careful if you are attempting this.

ALSO - because of its size (i.e. Small) connecting the DC Connecter plug required me to insulate the wires inside the plug cover with shrink-sleeve to prevent a short circuit - FATAL!

If you try this - you do so at your own risk!

Electricity is quite simple - unless you cock-it-up!