Power regenerator vs conditioner

If the goal is to improve the sound quality (soundstage, detail, dynamics, etc) and the issue is "noisy" AC, it would seem to me that a power regenerator such as PS Audio P15 would be far superior to a "conditioner" such as a Shunyata Denali or Hydra or Triton.  Is this correct?  Thanks .
craig

Showing 1 response by jrw1971

OP — Because you seem to have these products in mind, I can share my experience: I have a Niagara 3000, a PS Audio P-15, and a Denali 6000T in my house, in different places.  Like you, the PS Audio narrative makes the most sense to me.  And I used the P-15 in my big system for a long time.  More than once it beat out the Denali.  (The Niagara 3000 was not designed for a big system and I didn’t try too hard to test that).  But I recently put in two 20A dedicated lines with 10 gauge wiring, one for the amp and one for the AC power hub of choice, identical length, etc etc. First of all, no AC solution bettered my system like that did.  Big time (and if you think about it, that sorta undermines the notion that — if you regenerate perfect power from scratch — it doesn’t matter what you start with).  Secondly, after settling into a more relaxed, quieter, yet more dynamic new sound, I tried the Denali in place of the P-15.  Denali was better by a non-debatable margin (but I still connect the amp to the wall directly).  Sooo, who knows.  I let my ears decide.  But I’ve read many times, and now experienced firsthand, that your existing power situation can determine whether you’ll prefer the regeneration route, the "distributor" route (Shunyata), or the conditioner route.  I’ll say this (Part 1): they all provide improvement in my experience, except your crappier conditioners that quiet down the noise by strangling dynamics.  I graduated from that trial/error chapter.  And I’ll also say this (Part 2): as my system has gotten better thru better speakers and electronics, the differences in power solutions are much more noticeable.  Everyone has their own opinion, but the AC power solution deniers are just, well, wrong.