power cord for pass 250.8

Looking for a power cord for my Pass 250.8

Right now using cord that came with it. Could I do better?

For those with this amp which cord did you find most suitable.... My system is a bit on the laid back side so a somewhat more forward sound would be nice. Looking to pay up to $3,000.00 used.

Thanks for any suggestions.

roxy1927

Showing 12 responses by audphile1

Not if you have your speakers 25ft apart and one if em is jammed into a corner with a ginormous sectional in front of it. A stock power cord will do just fine. 

Used the Hurricane on XA30.8 and ended up not loving it.
Based on what you’re looking for, Nordost Tyr 2 power cord will possibly end your search. Try and audition it. 

I’ll paste here what I responded on another thread (audioquest vs audience) ….

Audioquest Hurricane is a very full, bottom heavy sounding cable. I had several and the more I added the more of this effect I heard. It could be a pro or a con depending on how your system is balanced. The bass is big with great texture and detail but can be overwhelming. Natural and full mids. Highs are laid back and at times can sound slightly pinched. The cable is best on amps and or power conditioners. I didn’t like it on my DAC and it was OK on preamp. Soundstage is deep but the width of the stage is average and can become overcrowded. I sold and bought this cable few times thinking I was wrong but in my system I don’t hate it…just don’t love it.

@jovlinger that’s actually not a bad idea! You should blaze this trail with your Radio Shack receiver you use in your system and report back what you hear. 

@jomace new Audioquest Hurricane 2m for $550?

Sounds too good to be true and you know how the saying goes, right?

There’s so much counterfeit out there and AQ happens to be one of the most popular in that space together with Shunyata, Cardas and Nordost. While I hope your Hurricane is authentic, I wouldn’t bet my money on it especially when it was purchased from Mercari. Good luck.

wolf_garcia

6,565 posts

Nelson Pass recommends the cord that is supplied with the amp. I’ve never heard him say otherwise

I think in the very early days of aftermarket power cords, Nelson said this somewhere but this hasn’t been true for quite some time. Just read the Pass manual for .5 or .8 series amps. Every single Pass Labs preamp and amp that i ever owned reacted to upgraded power cords.

Does anybody have any response to what bojack says?

Or is this a controversy that goes back to before the flood?

@roxy1927 goes back to before the flood. Several responses here fall into that category. 

Well you spent $150 and got no ROI so I call thar a waste of money. The stock power cords are solidly built. You could have paid for a year worth of Qobuz subscription with the $150 you dumped into a purchase that brought no improvement to the sound of your system. What would you call it? The audiophile nervosa insurance?

I mentioned Nordost Tyr 2 in my earlier post. Let’s add Shunyata Alpha v2 NR. Try before you buy though. 

G…hurricane’s not a great match with pass amps in my experience. Had it twice sold and bought again and sold for the final time. Unless you have a bright and sibilant speakers or want extremely meaty and thick sound, I would not recommend it. It might work great with ARC tube gear and SF speakers. Not doubting that. 

@roxy1927 if you’re looking at the long term power cord, the aliexpress options aren’t it. You get what you pay for. If you’re expecting a $50 Nordost Tyr 2 killer, pinch yourself.