Power cord 15amp and 20amp

Can somebody explain the differences between the two. Can you use either one--are they interchangable? I have 15 amp cords now, why would I need or want 20amp. Thanks in advance for your help in this matter.

Bill
itsalldark

Showing 1 response by joeylawn36111

In most household circuits, 15A is the maximum current usually available in the circuit. Your audio equipment won't draw that much current, so there won't be a difference between a 15A cord and a 20A cord as far as audio equipment goes.

An example of where a 20A circuit/cord would be necessary are some of the cheaper Arc Welders, which use 115V, but 20Amps due to the fact that they are very high current devices.

The only Possible difference for stereo equipment is the fact that 20A cords are thicker than 15A Cords, and therefore MIGHT sound better. But I doubt you will hear a difference.

A better choice would be to replace (if interested) your stock power cords with, say, some of the power cords sold here on Audiogon that while still 15A rated, are made of better materials than the cheap cords that come with the equipment. This may or may not make a sonic difference. YMMV.