Potential DAQuestion - Tube preamps and Buffers

~

I'm looking to smooth out the sound a bit, and have a potentially DAQ (Dumb a$$ question):

I run a CDP DAC and transport (Resolution Opus 21) into a tubed pre-amp (Audio Horizons TP2.0), then from there out to a digital Class D switching amp (Spectron MII Hybrid.) When I put the tube pre-amp into the system, it really helped to mellow out and improve the sound, as compared to a solid-state pre-amp I had tried and tested A/B.

So far, so good... I've been enjoying, but it can still be a bit brash. The Magnapan speakers only call out the brash detail.

Would a Tube Buffer help further, or is it a redundancy in the system? Do I need to consider the tech specs of each piece to determine that, e.g., output impedance*? Would it be a total waste of time and money?

Thanks,
Rob

* Just because I can spell 'output impedance' should not suggest that I know much about specs. :)

~
rhanson739

Showing 3 responses by zd542

"I'm now looking for a decent quality DAC. The Resolution Opus 21 will accept an S/PDIF signal up to 96KHz, but I think I'd like to upgrade, at least for the computer connection."

The Opus 21 is an excellent dac. I would do a very good, side by side, demo with the new dac before you get rid of it.
I don't think your electronics are at fault. Magnepan speakers can often sound very bright. I my opinion, buying other components to use as an EQ is not a good idea. Its very difficult to do. Basically, You're just guessing what may work and hoping the new components will do what you want them to do.
Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting that you should definitely keep your dac. My advice is to just make sure its the right move, for you. The only thing that's worse than buying a bad piece of audio component is selling a really good one. I admit, I do know from experience. There's many choices out there and your bound to find something that you like better than your current dac. I just say be careful.

Also, getting back to your original issue, are you aware that brightness is a fairly common problem with Magnepan and they know about this? I know for at least some of their models, they can send you resistors that you put in the binding posts that will roll off the top end a bit to make it more listenable. Its been a while since I had my Magnepan's so I don't remember every detail. Its worth a call. They didn't charge me for anything and its a factory authorized solution. Sometimes making a small change in a problem area can make a big difference.