Poor man's reference DAC

I am looking for a DAC in the $3000 range to match with my system. I am hoping for a reference DAC that I can later add a transport to once the funds are available. I know this price point is a little light for a reference DAC but it is what I can afford. I was going to buy the Birdland Odeon Ag with reclocker but once you open the door you start to find other items. I am interested in other views so I can start researching these DACs. The newest item I have read about is the Harmonix DAP-777. Very favorable reviews. Anything else out there that I should think about?

I have the following set-up:

Rowland Synergi IIi preamp
Rowland M201 mono amps
Meridian 588 CD player
CAL CL-10 multi disc player
B & W Nautalus 802 speakers
Audio Note Cerulean cables
Audio Magic power conditioners

I listen to vocalists mostly and accustic music. All reply are appreciated.
bryanhod
I would consider jsut getting the new Sony SACD reference CD player and abandoning separates or the new Arcam FMJ CD 33 which reviewers seem to rave about. Jallen
I second Bigkidz with a recommendation for an Audio Logic. For 3k, you should be able to buy a used one or perhaps a demo, some great tubes, and a good power cord.

I would also consider an Audio Note 3.1x Balanced DAC.

You might even consider speaking with one of the guys who does mods to see what older DACs can be modded into great performers. Steve Nugent, aka Audioeng, has a good reputation and is easily reached through his website empiricalaudio.com.

Let us know what you decide on.
Gotta go with the Audio Logic 24MXL, with some good tubes, digital cable, it can do a fullness without sounding congested, giving a kind of whole, solid feeling to instruments I have not heard in digital.

Also very good for a player (in the $3k range) is the Exemplar modded Denon 2900, which has amazing speed, transients and initial stike through the entire freq spectrum, along with a great amount of detail.
Let's see, 1/3 of the responces say Audio Logic. That is very encouraging. Has anyone ever used or heard a Harmonix DAP-777? I will look into the Audio Logic first and each of the other suggestion as well. What would you say the strengths of the Audio Logic are?