Please Suggest An Electronic Crossover

Speakers:  Infinity Kappa 9

Preamp:   Audio Research Reference 3

I’m looking to find an external crossover to add to my system.  Preferably a pre-owned unit…will consider new unit.

Would like to limit to $1k…but will go to 2k for the right unit.

128x128mitch4t
I would be looking a MiniDSP with Dirac live and running an amplifier on each channel.Passive XOs would take a lot more skill, and probably…. Unless you are really good… the outcome would likely be better with the EQ of the MiniDSP.
OP I’ve worked many Kappa 9.1, 9.0, 8.1, 8.0 crossovers. Easy fix. leave the mids and highs alone for just a bit.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kappa+9+schematic&sxsrf=AOaemvJtW6lbVtDQ_r7En3RoGvvCsb5fIQ:16304...

Look at the schematic you will see the MB driver and the bass driver.

Remove and tape off the the wiring to both, BUT only those two.

A pocket set of 4 like below or GR has TUBE Post that are very inconspicuous. I don’t care what you use, you need two sets of post

https://www.parts-express.com/Bi-Amp-Speaker-Terminal-Cup-Gold-Insulated-Binding-Post-High-260-247

You have a mid bass, and you have a bass driver, wire them in phase to the post with good copper, # 12 is even over kill but it is what I would use. Order the correct size crimp connectors or solder to the speaker
- and +.

Order a Behringer DCX 2494. 2-300.00 usd. It is not for mids and highs only bass.

• Signals can be split in various ways to assure precise sound by using the optimal frequency range of each loudspeaker
  • 3 analog inputs (one suitable as a digital stereo AES/EBU input) and 6 analog outputs
  • Superb high-end AKM 24-bit/96kHz A/D/A converters
  • Dynamic range of 113dB
  • Easy connection of external digital signals with sampling rates from 32-96kHz is a breeze
  • Precise dynamic EQs for level-dependent equalization
  • Extremely musical parametric EQs selectable for all inputs and outputs
  • "Zero"-attack limiters on all output channels guarantee optimal signal and loudspeaker protection
  • 4 different mono and stereo output operating modes, all with individual crossover filter types (Butterworth, Bessel, and Linkwitz-Riley) with selectable roll-off characteristics from 6-48dB/octave
  • The delays for all inputs and outputs are adjustable
  • Future-proof Ultra-Drive Pro software enables single or multi remote control via PC

I couple this with with Behringer NU12000 (3-400.00 usd each) NU4-6000 ( it has 4 outputs but half the power) it may be a better option. Turn OFF it’s OB DSP
The 2496 can handle 2 more outputs for two more HUGE passive subs. 500 pounders aught to work :-)
Just add another NU12k. Each channel will drive 4-6 high excursion 12" drivers to over 120 db.. You don't have to be to picky they will drive a 1 ohm load for a while too.. (hook up the fans)

I keep 4 NU12000 on hand they are such a great amp for bass.
I disconnect two of the three fans and put the third on a micro toggle.
I’ve yet to have to turn it on... BLASTING at 100 db for hours..

SO for the cost of two amps or one with 4 outputs, a crossover, cabling to run everything 1350.00 and about 3 hours of work.

IT WILL BLOW your mind.. how easy it is to set up with the best bass you have EVER heard..

The bass drivers are NOW direct coupled, the dampening will actually work now. The only way to have amp dampening is to have ZERO in the way of the amp output and the speaker input, close to servo control.
I actually like it better to tell the truth..

I use # 10 SJOOW pro speaker cable with copper speak on connections, for the pro side hook up. SJOOW is 99.999 copper about 50-100.00 per 2 X run.

I have two more ways but it involves an onboard XO mod. It cost a lot less. It works well also. The Kappa 9.1+ addresses the less than one ohm problem. I think it dips to 3.6.

The rest of the XO is pretty darn good to tell the truth..

If you need any help just PM

Happy Happy
And you've fixed how many? I figured.. ZERO.. Like I SAID I have two more fixes that are a lot less expensive, the rest of the XO is fine.

The other requires one cap one inductor and one resistor.

You can even use the old bass speaker terminals.. to look authentic.

My way is better.. plain and simple.. So There!!! :-)
PS:  Please don't just pick crappy crossover settings and try to fix everything with global EQ.