Please help! - Buy VPI Classic or keep Technics 1200

I've got upgraditis and am thinking about treating myself to a new audio component for Christmas.  I currently have a Technics 1200 with a Denon 103R cartridge and a heavily modified Jolida JD9 phono stage.  Yes it sounds fantastic but I don't know what I am missing with a VPI Classic or similar table.  There isn't a place close to me where I can go for a demo.  

My question is for you experts - would there be a substantial sound improvement with a VPI Classic  or Classic 2 table if I were to invest the $4,000 in comparison to my Technics 1200?  Would it take the sound to a higher level?  (which is something that I am looking for).  I don't really care about aesthetics or bragging rights but what I do care about is performance and functionality.
audioman2015

Showing 5 responses by sbank

If you go VPI consider this:
http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649314923-vpi-classic-1-piano-black-plinth-jwm-105i-arm/
to limit your risk. You could keep the 1200, buy this, if you don't love the VPI, resell for same dollars and then go the KAB-Technics, Audiomods upgrade route. It will be easy to sell your stock 1200, but once you invest in the mods, it will be much tougher to recoup if you don't love it. That being said, they can sound great with major upgrades, but that route is not for everyone.
This suggestion suits you if you aren't really sure either way. Cheers,
Spencer
https://www.kabusa.com/  works fine! It runs frame sets, so you might have a browser setting issue, @chakster 

I'm running the same, SP10mk2, but was originally looking at buying a 1200 to mod. Ran into a great deal on a fully refurbished table and couldn't pass it up. 

Since OP already owns the 1200, it would be crazy to not get that upgrade path serious consideration. He should also read up on Mike New, an Aussie 1200 guru, and his bearing and platter upgrades for the 1200. Cheers,
Spencer
 @chakster is correct about the arm, but read up on KAB's tonerarm rewire and fluid damper if budget is low. 
If you like linear trackers the $1k Transfi arm sounds great on 1200s, I also really like the similarly priced Audiomods based on theory, but haven't had a chance to hear one, so take that for what it's worth(i.e. further investigation).

I am thrilled for @slaw , but bet there aren't many Rock 7s out there, let alone soon availalbe used. Cheers,
Spencer
@darkstar1 Read the Techiepedia forum on theartofsound site. Lots of 1200 tweakers there with great experience at all budget levels. I learned plenty there regarding available bearings, feet, etc. with many firsthand comparisons posted by 1200 owners. Cheers,
Spencer 
Similar to @lancelock but a step or two up both brands' offerings I recently switched from VPI TNT6HR to Technics SP10mk2. The improvement is not subtle.

I agree with @raymonda that the new 1200 doesn't look great for its price, and that is one of many reasons why I like the vintage route, with the flexibility to go many directions with plinth and overall looks. The better tonearms often sold with the SP10 is another reason. 

What makes me laugh is when certain posters chime in only to promote the brand they own, often have no experience with the alternatives being considered by the OP, and have nothing but disdain for those who prefer something difference than himself.  
Cheers,
Spencer