Please be gentle with me! 🙏

I am a vinyl diehard and know very little of the streaming world.

My son has just bought his 1st amp and speakers a Leak 230 integrated and some JBL 4312G speakers and is currently streaming his music using an Android phone via the USB C on his phone into the USB B input on the amp, using the built in DAC on the amp. So the question is would something like a Bluesound Node N130 as a straight streamer be an audible improvement to his phone?

128x128alan60

Showing 3 responses by mahler123

@alan60 

so does the Naim have a DAC?  If not then he should definitely do Bluesound and not mess with his phone as a DAC.  

Now, purely as a transport, the phone might still be equal to the Bluesound, but it probably won't be, and it is a moot point now as he has purchased the Bluesound

So I will disagree here.  It depends.  The DAC in the Node may or may not be better than the DAC included in the amp.  And the phone may or may not be better as a digital transport into the DAC.  I was using an LG phone in exactly the same way your son is.  I replaced it with a Node because I didn’t want my phone tethered to my system.  There was no obvious sonic improvement 

Your son is probably bypassing the internal DAC in the Bluesound , but perhaps not and he may be using the DAC in the Bluesound.  We know for sure he isn’t using the phone DAC, right?

As to whether the Bluesound is a better digital transport than the phone, see my earlier answer.  The phone may actually be a good transport.  It depends.  Can’t make the answer more basic than that.

Now, if you upgrade from the Node into better streamers, I am going to feel fairly certain that the phone will come in second place.  The Bluesound is an entry level product, and a well built phone might match it as a transport, but I haven’t seen a phone that will compete with a higher level streamer than the Node