playing "top-damaged" CDs ?

Hi All,

I recently had over a hundred CDs water-damaged in the recent Vermont floods. A few were savable after air-drying, and others are just plastic and paper glued into small art objects. However, many CDs have some amount of cover or booklet attached to the face of the CD.The question is can CDs with small strips of paper fiber attached to the top surface be played? What amount of "stuff" might affect the playing/rotation of the disc. The paper is firmly attached and will not come flying off, (nor will I try tp peel anything).

The equipment is an AudioLab 6000 CDT transport with read-ahead buffer.

Any input appreciated.

BTW - over 1300 CDs were above water and survived intact - what I lost was all my Grateful Dead, Hot Tuna, Loop Guru, and lots of reggae.

[Related query- will a radio station or library label on a CD affect playing?]

thanks,

Richard

128x128richalan

Showing 2 responses by mahler123

I have told a story here a few times, but back in the days when cars had CD players I had carried a few into the garage and one fell out of the jewel case unbeknownst and lay in my garage floor under a pile of winter slush.  A few months later the slush melted and there it was, with months of debri having been pounded into it by car tires.  I cleaned it off by soaking in the sink with lukewarm water and Dial soap.  I then air dried it and sprayed one of the commercial CD cleaning sprays, and to my surprise it played perfectly and I have been listening to it without issue ever since.

Worst I ever had was a Rega Apollo.  It would reject about a third of the discs fed to it that would play fine on other players.  I couldn’t get a dealer to take if off my hands after a few of them demoed it.  I finally donated it to a charity shop