Playing DSD files

I have a small but DSD-capable DAC (Topping E30ii), and many DSD files on my hard disk. I am trying Audirvana Origin (one month free trial). It is able to play my DSD files, and the sound is good. However, before I buy it, I would like to test Foobar2000, with DSD components / plugins, maybe the sound is equally good.  Yet I cannot get it to work. I’ve installed foo-component for dsd and sacd, but no sound, or even  error message: unrecognized format, trying to play my .dff files. Anyone knows a workaround? With Foobar, my DAC display shows PCM (up to 706), it does not show (correct) DSD, like it does with Audirvana.

Ag insider logo xs@2xo_holter

Showing 2 responses by drewdawg999

@o_holter Did you get DSD working in Foobar?  I've used it for many years and it hasn't failed me and it sounds wonderful.  I also have a DSD Direct capable DAC, the SMSL D-6, and I believe that mode offers the highest sound quality.  You might have to check the output device.  Mine has to be on DSD+ASIO: USB DAC ASIO.

Oops sorry for the typo, yes it's "ASIO+DSD: " etc.  I don't have DSD Transcoder but you can try configuring it to play the files you want. It should support .dff files, I can play them just fine. Or you could try the Topping ASIO driver which should have a different name.