Placette vs. Creek remote volume controllers?

I'm going the "minimalist" route with one of my two systems. Presently a Creek OBH-10 volume controller serves as my preamp into a Pass Aleph 30. This $250 unit seems to get the job done nicely but I do have to wonder if the 4 times as expensive Placette unit would be a sonic upgrade for me. One problem I have with the Creek is gain matching with the Aleph 30--there are some occasions when I could use a few more dB than the Creek will get me at its max setting. Please let me have your views. Thanks!
beemerrider
I am looking into getting a Placette myself and after a phone conversation with Guy(from Placette) it seems obvious the Placette is the unit to get, the Vishay components used inside are the BEST. Even though it may seem expensive for merely a volume control, to have a very fine adjustment that imparts no sonic signature to the sound is really quite valueable. The only reason mine hasn't been ordered yet is I need a balanced RVC and that makes it $1800 and I still need another interconnect :( which brings it to a little below $3k- I think it will be worth it though(its been a long winter and the money tree will not be in bloom again till spring).
The sound level from the Creek OBH-10 and Placette RVC should be about the same, since neither has any gain. They both act as attenuators of the signal from your source. I think you will appreciate the sound quality of the Placette as major improvement in your system. You can get an in-home trial if you buy a new Placette, so there isn't any risk.

I was going to get the RVC, but a Passive became available locally. Let me know if you want more details.
I like how transparent my Placette RVC sounds. It's cleaner than my old pre-amp, and more than loud enough near the max setting with my solid-state gear. At the max setting, my Placette RVC's resistance is around 0.2 or 0.3 ohms, so almost all of the signal could get through.
I haven't tried the Creek.
Tireguy, I have never found a component that does not put some sort of sonic signature on a signal. Theoretically, the Placette may not do this; however, in reality, I am willing to bet that different power cords on the Placette will make it sound different. This is a sonic signature. Unless the Placette sounds the same with any power cord... I would say that the Placette has a sonic signature that varies with AC cord.

Anyone tried different power cords on the Placette?

KF
Tok2000, The placette only has power for the remote control to work. Passive units of any brand do not have power cords unles they have a remote, mine does not.