Pioneer 440 or 444 DVD

I've decided to buy a Pioneer DVD player and have it modified. I'm not sure if I should get a progressive scan player(444). My TV is a Sony XBR 200 which will not accept pscan. I will have this TV for at least 5 more years. I'm more apt to get a HDTV boxtop in a year or two and want to know if the boxtops would allow me to input a pscan signal?
gooddomino
If you are going to keep the TV for 5 more years do not wory about it.

If you must, the pioneer 444dvd has a very poor progressive scan chip. A good $250-$300 Progressive scan player is the Panansonic RP56 or the Sony NP700.
Gooddomino:

If you are going to keep your Sony XBR for about another five years or so (which is about the same amount of time I am planning to keep my 27-Inch Panasonic "SuperFlat"), then I wouldn't worry too much about getting a progressive scan player, unless that is what you want from the outset. If you still would like to get a progressive scan player anyway, then I concur with "Jaica" above in reference to the two progressive scan players "Jaica" is talking about. But I would also look at a Toshiba SD-3750. You should be able to get one for around $200.00 or so. I don't care that much for the low-end Pioneer progressive scan player at all. If you should ever opt for a Pioneer progressive scan player, then the only models that are worth looking at are the Elite models. Otherwise, for your set, a good interlaced player should be all that you need.

--Charles--
I bought a Pioneer DV-440 and found it to be a poor performer. I wanted to like it because of its low price and slim design. However, I found the video quality the worst of the 5 DVD players I've owned and sonically, it wasn't much better. I promptly returned it.

For $220 or less, I would get the Toshiba SD-4700 or 3750. The Panasonic RP56 also looks like a winner.

For lower end, I think I would actually consider buying whatever Consumer Reports likes.

Just my $.02 worth.

Enjoy,

TIC