Pictures at an Exhibition

For someone who studied music in college, I somehow managed to miss Moussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition until now. I admit I’m not a fan of large-scale orchestral works, so I avoided it not knowing that it was originally written for solo piano. I picked up both CD and vinyl copies of the solo piano version and I think it is fabulous. A wonderful mix of simplicity and virtuosity and I can’t recommend it highly enough. I’m definitely tempted to pick up another version.

Plese let me know if you are aware of any outstanding performances of this piece. Thanks 

chayro

Showing 2 responses by mahler123

I played the Byron Janis recording from the RCA Living Stereo reissue box.  It’s really a great performance and recording.

I was wondering when the OP said he ordered a guitar version.  I can’t imagine a single guitar handling this.  Perhaps a duo or quartet 

@chayro perhaps I missed it but who is the Pianist on the recording you praised in the OP?

@rvpiano recommendation is excellent.  I usually play the Richter Sofia recording that was mentioned upthread, but it does suffer from cramped mono sound and sounds like it was recorded in a TB sanitarium.  Richter is incandescent however- Bydlo in particular-and it’s one of those special musical moments where you just have to put up with the sound.  Katia is my modern go to.  Byron Janis is a very good recording from the early stereo era