Phono Stage Upgrade

I have been reading through most of the threads and discussions related to phono stages and was struck by a comment on how one’s phono stage investment should be approximately equal to the spend on one’s turntable. 

I currently have the Sutherland Little Loco, which has been not given me any issues at all. However, with my current setup of a Palmer 2.5i and the Audio Orgami arm plus a Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum cartridge, I am wondering if I am missing out on the potential of this combination?

I am definitely intrigued by the ARC 3SE and PH9, but am unsure of the interplay between these phono stages and my current cartridge and tonearn. I am not interested in having to recable anything and also read something about a quirky approach to power mains with ARC. I am running all of my gear using LFD mains and am quite happy with them. 

Finally, it is not entirely obvious where to actually purchase this gear as there is no one local to me and my two usual dealers (Gene Rubin and Fidelis) don’t carry ARC. I would love a recommendation as to a dealer I might contact. I will also keep my eyes open for a reputable used option. 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

128x128thr1961

Glad that someone suggested being able to listen and return such an item. I am still surprised at the many different types or levels of performance. Then of course is the matching and hoping to get the magic that this venture can be about. 

I am sorry to say that in the last year or more, I have spent non-refundable money on 4 different phono preamps! I don't consider myself that picky, but I do know what I like, and apparently that is rare. Don't make this mistake. It is a waste of what is the most valuable... our time.

Please report back regarding your process and results. You currently have my analog front end exactly, and from the sounds of it, the rest is at least similar. I’d be very interested in your findings. In my setup, the Little Loco has been fantastic and bested all I compared it to, however ARC was not among them. 

@4krowme

This puts you in a great position to get the perfect one next time. Read every professional review of the four phono stages you bought. You know what the four you owned sounded like. This should give you a solid basis to relate to the reviews. Then go to The Absolute Sound’s and Stereophile’s recommended components issue. You should be able to pick one or a brand (high end companies have a “house sound”) to audition or purchase.

Unless of course you are looking at preamps that are too inexpensive. Then fishing there may be the wrong place. Phonostages are really important and truly good ones cost money. My first Phonostage was a class A recommended one for $200… it sounded terrible… I upgraded until I got the AUdio Research PH8.

ARC makes some nice gear and there are lots of other options.

Modwright for one. 

@jemmer01 Michael Klein is a class act. Will help you make educated decisions.