Phono Preamp w/ Rumble Filter

Looking for suggestions on a Phono PreAmp under $5k new or used that has a rumble filter and balanced outs. Seems these two options greatly reduce choices. Rumble is a must, may can do w/o XLR. Current TT is a Denon 100th Anniversary with a 110 Anniversary MC cart, but may eventually upgrade them as well. 

Ag insider logo xs@2xstephens770

Showing 6 responses by stephens770

@stereo5 - thank you very much! You describe the exact rabbit hole I didn’t want to go down and knew it was possible. With this piece I can buy any phono preamp I llike and add the rumble filter. 

Thanks again.

@mlsstl - interesting. Only experiencing the rumble with the turntable, not CDs or stream. Will look into this, thank you!

@audiosaurusrex - Thanks, I was looking at the Phonos, reading up on it as well. Most comments echo yours. Still considering. Table is about 35 lbs and pretty well damped on its stock feet. Was the Phonos a little noisy, I read a review stating it is.

@lalitk - Great! Thank you. Didn't see that one. Looked at the JC3+ and loved what I saw, but no rumble. Why wouldn't they offer the filter on the JC3+..it's got everything else. For the price, I may give this one a shot just to see.

@ghdprentice - Previous speakers were IRS Betas, didn't notice the rumble. Maybe servos had something to do with it. Replaced Betas with Analysis Panels and Rel Line Arrays. Rels are 7 ft on one side and 8 ft on the offer from the TT, as far away as I can place them. Using an upgraded older PS Audio Phono pre that sounds very nice except the rumble. For less than $2k Phono and table, I have great sound but rumble now. Thanks for the advice on the PH8.

I tried the MF Nuvista Vinyl. Sounded great and got rid of rumble, but noise floor was too high for my liking in my system. Not really looking for another rabbit hole. If I can improve on the PS Audio's sound with a better Pre, have a low noise floor(which the PS has) and push a button to get rid of the rumble, I'm happy. 

Thanks again for the suggestions.

@atmasphere - Thank you, I truly appreciate your reply. Not using the Betas currently, but with a Rel line array either way can sacrifice a little bass for fewer headaches. I thought the Denon/Denon combo would be an easy fit.

I ended up purchasing the KAB Rumble filter.

https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/rf1.htm 

Haven't had a chance to install yet, but initial impression is high quality and first class product and service. Won't be able to use balanced outs but worth a shot.

If this works as expected, I'll probably take the previous advice from @ ghdprentice and look for an AR PH8 and use the KAB rumble filter with it. Will report out after install.

Thanks to all.

To follow up on this for others that may be experiencing the same issue now or in the future. The KAB worked exceptionally. Not only is the rumble gone, but the entire presentation is cleaner and more detailed. The sound quality through my Analysis panels on mids/highs is also better. Not sure if the KAB needs burn in time, but even out of the box only positives to report.

I may want to look into some of the above suggestions to determine if I can correct the inherent issue, but for now I'm enjoying my Vinyl again in peace with improved sound for a $179 investment!