phono preamp to power amp

It is probably a dumb question, but I am ignorant, why should I pretend.  :)

Long story short, I gave away my integrated and bought a power amp. I am planning to buy a second one and use them as monos. For now (and then) can I plug my phono preamp to the power amp? Or I need a preamp? I googled and the answer was mostly "it depends"

grislybutter

Showing 3 responses by tomic601

First the hype around Schitt is well deserved and earned, both Jason and Mike have good ears and experience. A good deal of the  way they create value is well documented in the book Schitt Happened …. Scale is powerful and in the case of Schitt they make good use of pick n place automation and surface mount technology. 

Wishing you the best as you bootstrap your way to a better system. I’m sure i have some extra bits here and there. Just PM where you need em to go. Merry Christmas !

Different components but i can and have done similar by running a Herron tube phono stage via a 4 meter RCA into the inputs of a MC240 amp which have volume controls…. i think your experiment is worth conducting… in a similar vein some great engineers w ears notably Roger Modjeski and Charlie Hansen certainly wrestled with this or similar minimalistic approach… my own experience has led me down the preamp path…but others may weigh in w different results…

Typically the amp volume control is an attenuator not additional gain. You can certainly try the phono directly into the amp - hopefully obviously START w very low volume. Your phono may not have enough to drive a long cable just FYI…

Have fun and enjoy