Phono cartridge noises

Hi All, 

I finally after many years built a new home with a dedicated music room and was quite happy with it until I connected my turntables. I've never run across this and looking for advice as I'm truly lost on what I’m experiencing. 

I have two phono preamps, the Jolida JD-9 II / Grado Gold G2+2 High Output cartridge / Project RM 1.3 and a Black Ice Fusion F159 / Grado Reference Low Output cartridge / VPI Scout. Without the cartridges connected I have a slight bit of air noise when I turn up the volume which I kind of expect. As soon as I plug in the cartridges I pick up what I think is internet noise and not in a small way. The high output masks it to a point, the low output can't be used at all. It sounds like I'm on a spaceship! It's a high pitched noise with a morse code like beeping sound, a lot of background kinda rumble/flutter and distortion. The room is wired for ethernet but as yet not connected I only have WiFi in use. When I switch to any other source input on the main preamp all noise goes to silence. I have connected the phonos with different cables from Transparent Audio, Morrow, Original phono cables that came with the tables and even tried an old set of Monster Cables; all produce the same result as soon as the cartridge is introduced into the loop. 

Has anyone come across this I'm truly stumped?  

K

skyy75234

An in-line filter might not help much because it sounds like the problem is radiating from that tower. Shielding is needed.

Hi Stingreen,

I have just a little air all the way to both tables when disconnected. As soon as I plug the tables in the noise enters. This morning the LO cartridge I moved the VPI with the LO Grado to the opposite side of the room and it started playing a radio station! It was better where it was! 

The digital side of the system is awesome, even my reel to reel is fine it’s only the cartridges that are the issue and were my favorite focus that if been collecting albums for over the last 40 years!

K

One of these might be helpful to determine the cause of the noise and lead to a remedy. Best of luck!

RF/EMF Detectors