Phono cable advice.

What are some good phono cable options for around $150ish and under? So far I’m looking at BJ LC-1 and Zu Audio Mission cables. This would be for between my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC Esprit and most likely (still looking) a MoFi StudioPhono preamp. I have an extra pair of Kimber Silver Streak cables but they don’t look insulated well enough. I’ll be running DH Labs Air Matrix from my preamp to KEF LS50 Wireless speakers. I’d like something I can grow out a little with as I incrementally upgrade things. Stylus (Blue 2M?) is probably next.

Thanks for any input.
asahitoro

Showing 12 responses by invictus005

I see a lot of poorly shielded or even completely unshielded cables being recommended, such as Anticables, Kimber, as well as WBT Next Gen and KLE RCA plugs. Is there a reason for this?

Phono signal is extremely low in level and very susceptible to noise. It's simply improper to have an unshielded cable or an RCA plug that contacts the ground with a tiny point and leaves the rest of the plug completely unshielded. 

I'm scratching my head here...
That’s fundamentally false. A coax cable with a single center conductor can absolutely be used for phono applications. It is properly shielded. Unlike Anticables.

All of the most sensitive instrumentation equipment on Earth at research labs use coax cable. Where even the smallest amount of noise can be a huge issue.
Anyone even thinking about using an unshielded phono cable has no business giving advice about anything electrical related. 
I’ll make a recommendation to OP. Try the Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010 phono cable. I believe it’s built by Zonotone out of Japan, correctly shielded, and has premium components throughout. Sounds very good IMO.
Zu phono cable looks to be well built, but some of the stuff they write online screams ignorance (hi Raul). Crimped center conductor? Graphite infused epoxy potting?

Real professionals solder cable connectors using Sn62 solder. That is the law.
Just make sure you buy from an authorized Jelco dealer, or direct. I know for a fact Chinese are cloning this cable. Anything from a not authorized source is 99.9% guaranteed to be fake. 
Jelco with the Mogami 2534 microphone cable is pretty cheaply made and uneventful as far as sound is concerned.
These are not blanket statements. This is the LAW. To suggest that small signal cables need no shield is an insult to electrical engineering and all of the hard work that goes into proper design and not just in cables but in any electrical components. Especially in today’s polluted world. 
@soundermn What facts do you seek? The fact that a small signal cable has no shield is all that’s needed to question intelligence.