Pet Sounds: Most Overrated Album of All Time?

Try as I might -- and I have tried very hard -- I just don't get the "genius" of this album. I know that George Martin said that Sgt Pepper would have never happened without Pet Sounds, but I don't think the two are even in the same league. What am I missing?
jeffreybowman2k
Even though I grew up in the Beach Boys era, I was only a casual fan of their music and never recognized the staggering genius of Pet Sounds. That is, until I saw the Pet Sounds Live In London DVD. Seeing this music performed live by Brian Wilson and an ace backing band showcases what a drop-dead- gorgeous album Pet Sounds is. Also, the DVD has better sound quality than the CD versions of Pet Sounds that I have heard.
Audiohifila,

Your list of early artists who fail to move you is interesting in that 3 of the 5 you list would make my top 10 list of rock music that actually survives. In fact, Chuck Berry would nail the #1 spot without a moment's hesitation. I find his music far more compelling today than almost any other rock musician's. Buddy Holly is only a half-step behind Berry and Brian Wilson is in there somewhere. IMHO, Orbison and Presley were more notable as singers than writers (and Presley was obviously a cultural phenomenon in so many ways; from sex symbol to early racial cross over music).

If you find that these musicians are more interesting as "historical artifacts", it says more about your personal preferences than it does about the music. No criticism is implied there. I like some Bel Canto opera, but can't abide more than 5 minutes of Wagner. I assure you that this fact says more about me than it does about Wagner's music.

Either way, I must admit that I find it curious that anyone who likes rock music doesn't find Berry's music essential. Rock is a reductionist/primitivist art form which isn't really complicated. You got your blues, your country, and your gospel. From the blues, I find that Berry distilled pure, nearly perfect rock n roll. From country music, Holly performs a similar transformation and for Gospel, you might look to Little Richard.

Wilson is a bit different in that his gift was expanding the "vocabulary" of rock music. He looked backward to the '50s vocal music (doo wop) and forward to incorporate exotic technology. IMHO, in this repect, he's the father of "art rock".

It's not merely that the Stones and Beatles (and just about everyone else) were inspired by this music, it's more that between Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, and Brian Wilson you will find the core of almost everything the Beatles and Stones produced over the course of their careers (with the possible exception of the Disco/Funk elements of the Stones which nods toward gospel music and Little Richard). And from there, you will will find that so much subsequent r'n'r music goes back to those 2 bands.

I think George Thorogood put it best. When asked why his band didn't perform any original music, he replied:
"Because Chuck Berry has already written all the great rock n roll songs".

OTOH, you're certainly entitled to not dig it and it certainly doesn't prove that Pet Sounds is a great record.

Marty
It's so flagrantly overrated, that I find it incredible that people fall for the droll boring sound of any of the beach boys music, on top of which it's just sad that the cultural powers that be convinced a few generations this was surf music. Yikes.
what should we be listening to ??????

As for Pet Sounds, it will outlive you..and me
I breathe surf culture every day
stop by sometime
station #34 Carlsbad North Jetty of the powerstation.....

What brought this thread back to life ten years later?! I could say a LOT about Pet Sounds, but why bother? If one doesn’t "get" the album, so be it. Having said that, I will in fact say a few words about it; I owe that much to Brian Wilson.

I can understand why a person would find Pet Sounds underwhelming; it sounds very "old fashioned", and isn’t at all Rock music. In addition, it’s recorded sound quality is mediocre at best; it’s so veiled as to make hearing "into" the music difficult. In spite of that, it remains Paul McCartney’s all-time favorite album. Go figure! Dave Alvin (The Blasters, solo, work with John Doe of X, new album with Jimmy Dale Gilmore) said a while back that he himself never understood why others he respected liked Brian Wilson and/or The Beach Boys so much. Until, that is, very recently, when all of a sudden he had the epiphany, finally hearing what others had for decades. Better late than never!

For anyone interested in understanding why "God Only Knows" is considered one of the three greatest Pop songs ever written (by someone "close" to me ;-), head over to You Tube and find the video wherein a music professor (well la de da) sits at a piano, breaking down the song, demonstrating and explain the brilliance of it’s composition. Not as dry and academic as that may sound. Thrilling, actually. I would provide a link to the video, but remain stubbornly computer illiterate.

Up above one listener characterized Pet Sounds as depressing; I think of it rather as melancholy. Another said it was influenced by Brian Wilson’s discovery and use of LSD. Only somewhat; the Smile recordings (the never-completed follow-up album to Pet Sounds), on the other hand, are dripping with the stuff. In the Smile album (a musical dramatization of Manifest Destiny), Brian had finally found a lyricist---the brilliant Van Dyke Parks---his equal.