Personal speaker evolution

OK, so here is a thread I haven't ever seen here: What speakers have you owned? starting with the earliest, price paid, new/used, and perhaps the models that really impressed you (for the price) in CAPS.

Rat Shack Something or others, $120, new
Fisher Something or others, $280, new
ADS L710's, $550, new
Snell A2i's, $1100, used
BEVERIDGE SYSTEM 3'S, $1000, used
Martin Logan CLS, $1400, used
MARTIN LOGAN SL3'S, $2300, used
pmwoodward
I don't know if it actually is an evolutionary link, but I got Magneplanar MG 3.6Rs at the end of last year. I have been busily engaged in the job of getting them to run ever since. Bought used from a guy I would not recommend buying a hairpin from, they required a lot in the way of repairs. They do sound great after many efforts, so all is not negative. Just a question of what everyone has too little of: time and money. Dealing with Magnepan has not been smooth sailing either, since I do not live in the USA, which is reason for the folks at Magnepan to complicate things. I worked with a dealer who, while taking his own good time to get things done, did do a very good job of repairing them. I am now learning the art of replacing the foil in their ribbon tweeter; not the easiest task in the world I can assure you!

Wonder what an SE version of these speakers, using a stiffer panel structure (by incorporating something rigid à la Mye stands in the design) and better quality components all around (including the connectors and, most certainly, the x-overs, would be like?

Looking at the way they are built compared to top box speakers, it is a wonder they sound as good as they do. Strange company that Magnepan outfit...
Pbb sez:
Wonder what an SE version of these speakers, using a stiffer panel structure (by incorporating something rigid à la Mye stands in the design) and better quality components all around (including the connectors and, most certainly, the x-overs, would be like?

I listened to a pair of 3.5 with an allegedly hotrodded x-over (I have no idea as to the schematics). Improvement in the low end, some improvement -- low level detail became more evident -- in the tweet section (without an attenuator). However, I speculate that bi-amping would do the trick famously. Also, rather than changing connectors, one could hard wire cables to the x-over?
1. zenith allegro speakers 10 inch woofer with horn tweeter amazing sound. FREE ages 5-15
2.Yamaha bookshelf first new speaker 106.85
3.a/d/s mv40 800.00
4. Vandersteen 2ce sigs 1500.00
5. a/d/s l710, l780, l500, l990, and much more none over 400.00
6 ess heil from 70s free
7.symdex sigma and omega best there is 400.00
8. Note Perfect alpha pro se. Australian speaker traded equipment.
all of these within the last 2 years. Nothing i have tried can come close to the symdex. except the vandy 5's but 400 vs. 12,000 not that much better...
Some cheapo Aiwa system's speakers
Allison 1
Duntech mini monitors
Thiel 2.2
Proac Response 5
Kharam CRM Focal titanium tweeter 2.3 (current)
DCM Time Frame TF350 S$800
Totem Model 1 S$1500
Vandersteen 2CE Signature S$3500
Cabasse Baltic/Thor II S$POA [coming soon]

Always bought new. Started out with the DCM time frames back in 1990. They are a cheap and good pair of spks and the thing is, they're still in good working condition playing in my Dad's house.

The Totem monitors were imaging kings. Still love them, but hated the treble hardness which couldn't seem to go away with different amps. One of the hardest to match.

With the Vandersteens, I got lots of bass and very nice mids. Seemed to work well with anything and hard not to like. Treble [again] was problematic and could sound harsh when pushed. Imaged even better than the Totem(!). Wasn't as fast as high efficiency single driver type spks.

Looked for high efficiency spks which could reproduce the full freq spectrum without throwing away anything and NOT sounding boxy. Needless to say, this upgrade would be the most significant for me. I also own a pair of Cabasse Farellas for HT and loved the tweeter. So investigated their eyeball spks - starting with the iO paired with the Thor II sub. I was amazed at how these spks disappeared and the music was so natural it didn't seem like I was listening to hifi, just music. So I've taken the plunge and gone for the bigger Baltic II/Thor II.