peachtree gan 400 is very good

you know this is class d - i know its been talked about for better or worse and it might be a little passe already - in terms of whats hot right now. But this happens to be a very good amplifier.

It does the subtle things really well - it wont dazzle you at all - its charming though

it really grows on you - at first your like -"whats so special about this amp - another let down" - then after a couple of weeks of listening - (i know a couple of weeks) it

it started to reveal its liquidity and charmingness - remember nothing is thrusted at you - so its hard to pinpoint because in the beginning, the amp sounds so ordinary

but if you are patient - you get rewarded (not in razzle dazzle)  but in everything you play sounding good (again if the recording is good)

its as good as any tube amp - for the same price - its cleaner and just as good tonally

128x128smargo

Showing 5 responses by smargo

your right on about gan amps - especially this one - closing some gaps I think its also a given - and also you need a decent preamp to get the performance i am talking about,

you cant use a preamp - that costs $200 tube or solid state and expect the amp to sound good - you cant - you got to have a preamp that allows the amp to sound good - so many preamps put the cabash on an amp - and that person then thinks the amp is no good - when it could be the preamp not lending itself 

"So you’ve heard a lot or all tube amps at this price in your system...?"

Well not all - but cayin, primaluna, cary, audio research, and conrad johnson and jolida so not real high end - but high end for their stuff

so true - although i am ever so guilty of the amp that impresses right away over the years and not really head over heels with it a month later - this seems like the reverse of that

that is what i hear about peachtree amps - every amp they come out with is better than previous amps.

the gan 400 is a bit of a sleeper - you would never in a million years think when you got it - that it was any good or just run of the mill at best. You really have to have a little trust that it is going to evolve into something worthy of having it in your system.

like i said previously - its far from razzle dazzle - and you need a pretty good preamp - but you do get rewarded, with subtlety and charmingness and listenability

the forgetting about how the system sounds and immersing myself in the music is very confronting to me. im so use to tinkering for the last 28 years - listening to music just for the music and not worrying about the system and the cables and the dacs and the speakers and the power conditioners and the power cables and the interconnects and isolation platforms and the racks and the stands and the flooring and the room treatments - etc . When i have a solid state system - i want tubes - when i have tubes - i want solid state

its a nice break - lets see how long it lasts