Passive preamp

Hello. I wanted to learn more about running a preamp in passive mode versus active mode.  Am I correct in thinking that passive mode means it is not altering the audio signal?  My question relates to a Schiit Frida s that I am using in passive mode, using it essentially as a switching device.  Am I missing anything?.   

128x128grantgg

I went through this a few years ago. I think whether you want passive or active, depends more on the efficiency of the speakers and second the amp specs, input and output sensitity. I found a very good explanation of different types on the Goldmund website. I then kept seeing Khozmo in a lot of conversations. If you have your amp specs Arek will steer you. The volume control comes with different resistance options. I have heard people say resistors don’t have much to do with sound, but they do. I got two resistor upgrades with my Khozmo. I can achieve over 100 dB with 60% volume setting. My amp can achieve full output at 1.25 V and my Dac puts out 2V so that explains it. Bottom line is if you are not sure about all this get your specs together and talk to a vendor. Arek , for example, will tell you if a passive will work. In my situation, I don’t know what an active would do other than add gain and have an influence on what your system sounds like, for better or worse.

When I hear passive preamp, I’m thinking of a unit that does not amplify the signal halves, but the quality of components, power supply type as in diodes or tube based rectification, in addition to capacitors, etc will leave its fingerprint on music ...

You're describing an active preamplifier, not a passive one.

I did try using the Bricasti M3 as my preamp, and DAC and it worked a beautifully. The sound and dynamic range is really nice, don't have the remote control though.   Then I put my Freya S back in line running passive, and to tell you the truth, I cannot tell a difference at all.  Maybe I'm just getting too old to know.  I did get the solid state Freya S instead of the Freya + (tubes) since it was my intention to run this Passive anyway .  I may stick with the Schitt for the time being until something else comes up.

I did try using the Bricasti M3 as my preamp, and DAC and it worked a beautifully. The sound and dynamic range is really nice, don’t have the remote control though.

brian zollner at bricasti will be happy to sell you the remote kit with sensor, umbilical and handheld... it works well, if a little old school