Parasound Halo vs NAD c388

Hey, 

Anyone know how the Parasound Halo Integrated amp compares to the NAD c388 integrated?  Both were recommended.

TIA

klimt

I have the Parasound and am happy with it. Lots of connectivity options. Good DAC, hi and low pass xovers.

I’ve owned both the the NAD 388 and the Halo Int (original). The NAD had a overall neutral, albeit slightly "cold" sound to it. There was a touch of grain to its treble to my ears as well. The Halo Int in all honesty was superior in almost every respect. I’ve since gone all tubes, but the Int was a fine integrated and could’ve lived with it. -- VS the 388 the Halo Int had better treble resolution, detail and bass slam. If you can get both at about the same price, I’d opt for the Halo Int. In addition, the Halo Int has a USB input for its DAC, something that the NAD 388 needed a plug in module for IIRC.

Hey gak, 

Can you specify which parasound int you're recommending?

Is it the Halo Hint 6?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Klimt

Hi klimt, I had the original Halo Integrated.  By most accounts, the more recent Halo Integrated 6 is an improvement.  The Halo Int struck me as a jack of all trades that actually sounded really good.  I didn't use its phono stage though, I had an external unit.

At the time, I think I was using a Lehmann Black Cube 2 for an external phono stage, which for ~1000 bucks is a fantastic unit.  I only did a brief comparison with the built in Halo phono stage, but recall greater detail and drive with the Lehmann, plus it had more cartridge loading options.  For tubes, my setup is listed in my profile, but I've gone to separates.  All of this is much more costly than a single integrated amp, but I just wasn't fully satisfied with an integrated, just had the itch for more.  : ) 

My overall setup-- Zestos Andros Deluxe 2 phono (Tesla E83CC , Rogue RP7 (with Amperex 7316 as main tubes), Rogue Stereo 100 (currently have red tip RCA black plates 12AX7 as gain tubes, Brimar long black plates as driver tubes.  Tubes to my ears just give you better treble resolution and decay, and a smoother, but more detailed midrange.  My DAC is a fine sounding RME-ADI-2.   For the DAC I did side by sides with the Halo's built in DAC, which sounded SLIGHTLY drier and less fleshed out than using the RME, but honestly the Halo's DAC is more than competent.

Anyway, I think you would be very sonically satisfied with the Halo Integrated.  One can even get used models for good prices.  Oh, one other tidbit is that the Halo Int does HT bypass, the NAD 388 did not.  I was using the Halo in a combo HT setup, so having HT bypass was important.