Pacific Audio Fest

Any one there? Thoughts on good sounding rooms/gear?

rsf507

Showing 1 response by gardners501

I was there about 8 hours on Friday and about 6-7 hours on Saturday. It was a ton of fun - so glad to finally have something like this in the PNW! My observations  match several that I've read in the above posts. Some standout impressions:

Genesis - the sheer size of the setup in this room was impressive, and it sounded great - plus Gary Koh is such wonderful guy and an avid supporter of our hobby.

Acora Acoustics - I'd never heard of these, but was very impressed with the sound - rich, seamless from top to bottom, really nice.

Vanatoo - Wow - an absolute bargain and very pleasing sound and energy.  I brought a friend who's on the market for an inexpensive system with me on Saturday so he could hear these.

Linkwitz - Several have mentioned these above and also mentioned their unconventional look. I actually really liked the way they looked, but more importantly, I loved the sound. Sonically, I think this was my favorite room. This is not scientific, but I judge a system by how "real" it sounds to my ears, and the Linkwitz room was the one that did that for me more than any other.

I'd never been to an audio show before, so I can't compare it to others around the country, but I'm just glad it was here (I live in the Seattle metro area) and hope it was successful enough to be an annual event.  My only minor disappointment is that there weren't more records for sale. In looking back over some early promotional material, I think the organizers were hoping to use a big room for music media sales, but apparently it didn't work out. (Just as well - I just would have spent more money!)