Oppo UHP 205 Universal Player

Hello.  Have an opportunity to purchase a mint condition Oppo 205 universal player for $2,500.  I'm heavily into multi-channel SACD and Blu-Ray music playback.  Seem like a reasonable deal?  Any other suggestions?

Ag insider logo xs@2xdrlou77

Showing 11 responses by drlou77

Sorry, I meant UDP-205.

I’m struggling with this decision.  I have an Oppo 105 and like the player and I am pleased with its performance.

I have hundreds of SACDs, blu-ray audio and DVD-Audio discs.  Stereo and 5.1 multi-channel playback is important to me.

I’ve heard there are new players in this space, but I am not familiar with them.

Looking to learn from others who have been down this path.

Thanks!

@oddiofyl 

I use my Oppo almost exclusively for music.  I own a few blu-ray, but most of them are concerts.

The trend among us audiophiles, is music that is being produced in Dolby Atmos mixes and Quadrophnic releases of older titles.  They sound fantastic and totally immersive.  

Some purists stand firm with 2:1 systems.  Old jazz titles sound great in this format.  The newer stuff in 5.1 is the closest to live music that I’ve experienced.  I need to have both.

Maybe, I’ll pick up the Reavon after all.  It seems to suit my needs and it’s within my budget.

Thanks.

@thecarpathian 

Thanks for your input.  May I ask what your what your spinning your discs on?

Thanks!

Rich

@mijostyn 

Thank you for the explanation.

I have a quite a collection too: 6,000 cds, 750 SACDS, 100 Blu-Rays, and about 100 DVD-Audio discs.

I am in the process of ripping my favorite cds to a music server with a 4TB SSD drive.  The others will continue to be played on my Oppo 105.

When the Oppo goes, I will look into either the Reavon or Magnetar.

What is Pure Music?  Is it like HQPlayer or Roon?

Thanks!

@mijostyn 

Thank you.  I’ll check it out.

I didn’t mention that I also have about 1,000 LPs.  Yeah, it’s a bit of an obsession this hobby.

I have several rare records too.  How do you digitize them - through some sort of tape loop?  If you have a moment, I’d be interested to know more about it.

Thanks.

Passed on the Oppo 105.  Now looking at the Magnetar UDP 900. 

@mijostyn 

@miketuason 

Any further thoughts on this unit before I spend $3K?  Did either of you look at the UDP 800?  It’s around $1,600.  Just wondering what you get from the upgrade to the UDP 900.  Not looking to pinch pennies just curious.

Thanks!