Oppo UHP 205 Universal Player

Hello.  Have an opportunity to purchase a mint condition Oppo 205 universal player for $2,500.  I'm heavily into multi-channel SACD and Blu-Ray music playback.  Seem like a reasonable deal?  Any other suggestions?

Ag insider logo xs@2xdrlou77

Showing 5 responses by arnold_h

Another negative I saw in a review with the Magnetar 900  is no visible display for the volume level unless the tv is on, Oppo 205 shows  volume 1-100% in the display which is important when just listening to music if using as a preamp as I do.

I have owned a Oppo 205 since 2018, right before they discontinued them, it is used daily and has worked flawlessly. I absolutely love it. Up until now there has not been another universal player that equals the features of the Oppo 205. The Magnetar 900 looks to be a worthy successor. Although in comparison, the only disadvantage I see is that the Magnetar has next to no digital inputs compared to the Oppo. I use my Oppo 205 as a dac/preamp direct to my power amp and run digital optical from my tv to the Oppo and digital coax from my Blusound node to my Oppo. I paid $1700 Can. for the 205 and see that the Magnetar is over double the price at $4000 Can. A used 205 would still be a viable option even at $2500. I would curious to see how the two would compare sonically for music only. I always said I don’t know what I would do if my Oppo 205 quit because there was no viable replacement but now there is, though that lack of digital inputs is a bummer.

Yes, not sure what you mean by “in from the tv”?  I have a Samsung 75” smart TV  it has optical audio out which I run to the Oppo 205 for audio when streaming movies from Netflicks etc or watching anything on my cable box/pvr. It has several hdmi inputs but no hdmi output that I’m aware of. I run hdmi out from Oppo to tv for playing blue ray discs. 

The Magnetar 900 is very similar to the Oppo 205 but at over double the cost the 205 is still a superior player as far as features go.  The Oppo has 2 usb inputs, hdmi input, optical input, and coax input. The Magnetar only has the 2 usb inputs and none of the rest. Also the lack of volume display on the unit would be a problem for me. It sounds like both units use the same Sabre dac chipset. Not sure how they would compare audio and video wise. I’m sure the newer Magnetar may have a slight edge being newer and updated but I’m very happy with the 205 and don’t have any plans to change unless it quits and can’t be repaired.

No problem, I forgot to mention I also use it for surround as well. I run a subwoofer from the sub output on the Oppo 205 and I am using powered speakers from the 205 outputs as well, centre and rear surrounds 5.1 and it works very well, all from the 205. I run the analog xlr outputs directly to my 2 channel power amp. Sounds better plus extra gain when using the xlr outputs. This setup works great for me. 

I did read a few of the reviews that I could find, one person did compare the Magnetar to the Oppo and said the Magnetar sounded a little more detailed than the Oppo BUT also a little forward sounding for his likening BUT also said the Oppo had better bass.   The Magnetar was likely a brand new unit not broken in yet so it would likely mellow out a bit after some breakin time.