Oppo BDP-95 sounds GREAT?

Stereophile Sept.: Oppo‘s BDP-95, it plays everything and sounds great. Any experience with it? How great is „great“ in reality? Great comparable to Wadia, EMMlabs or Esoteric? Great enough for those „masterings“ which gave us monthly sonic revolutions the last 20 years? ,Great‘ to impress anybody who hates CD‘s and is forced listening to it?
The sonic truth between 0 and 1? I am looking for a CD Player. Where‘s the experiemce of this reference sound quality secret?
128x128syntax
Having not heard some of the SOTA digital I wouldn't know but I'd sure bet Mike is dead on based on my impressions. One thing to consider with this unit as I did when I purchased it after hearing it in two different systems is the potential. My bet is that with with some modifications, a tube output stage and an upgraded power supply this unit could be a real contender.

Good news, the unit is extremely resolving of ambient information and excellent at the frequency extremes, actually it is quite remarkable at this price point. Where the unit is wanting in my limited experience is the rather lean nature of instruments, something is missing here so far. I expect an improvement but I'm not too sure it is going to improve enough to my satisfaction. I received mine last week so it is still breaking in. I prefer the OPPO as transport with my Havana doing the processing. What is lost with the Havana is all the great things the OPPO does, resolution and extension. What is gained with the Havana is the image density and tonality. As things stand now I like the latter. What I expect is that I will get tired of going back and forth and will modify this unit to bring it to its full potential. I think at that point it might be best to ask the question.
I was lucky to get one of the first batches of 95's in early March, and in my modest setup It has become a stellar performer!, The 95 will take no less than 500 hours to burnin and sound its best, as it stands now in my system. I listen to much more music than before wiether cd,sacd or hirez files and love its musical presentation. Over the months during its burnin Brass gained byte and snares gained clarity and density, bass became impactful and decayed like a dream. The last thing I noticed about the 95 to date is its purity in the high frequencies ( Audiophile Air)and the player is complete now in my book far exceeding my expectations. To sum it up, its truthful in tonality has weight and extention on all frequencies ( none favored over the other) Cant really call it warm or cool, its a neutral player.

Hope this helps!
I have a Wadia 581i SE and an Oppo 95. I spent most of this weekend doing comparisons between both. I hooked them up to a McIntosh pre C2300 and a BAT VK600 SE, with Analysis Audio Omega speakers, via XLR connections.
ALthough I agree with Mike regarding some roughness coming from the Oppo I have also to recognize that dynamics and bass extent are both better in the Oppo. The Wadia is clearly more refined, with better soundstage and more flesh to show but, however, it sounds analytical and too laid-back in comparison with the "joie de vivre" of the Oppo player. Taking into account that the Wadia costs 10 times more, and that the Oppo is still burning in, I have to recognize that the $1000 player is astonishing, and specially in SACD reproduction. I want now to hear to the new Mcintosh player, the 1100, since it uses the same SOTA dacs of the Oppo,multiplied by 4 and on a high-end platform.
I have a NAD T587 and a Krell Showcase DVD, could not really tell them apart and I paid $250 for the NAD from Spearit Sound when they had them as refurbs. I have not heard a Oppo but I like having the NAD around it's that good.
Digital satisfaction goes an interesting way. Years before it was not possible to listen to units below 20k without getting pain in the ear, now we talk about a 1k unit and even owners from much more expensive units don't escape. Any idea why it is so good?