Oppo 105 with DIY LPM is a giant killer (no dac needed)

Responding to the many "which dac?" question threads and making the following basic comment over and over,  I felt I should post a separate thread for it

Over the decades I have owned a lot of transport dac combos as well as cd players that could serve double duty  as a transport to which I connected various outboard dacs. Being very interested in SACDs and DVD-As, I bought a new Oppo 105 ~ 8 years ago, strictly to play them. So both were in the system at all times as I toggled between red book and hi-rez formats

The reviewers consistent knock on the 105 was the power supply. Several years ago I was using a Pioneer PD65 with Musical Concepts mod that included an outboard power supply. I upgraded the dacs, but eventually used it as a transport. Finally, the PD 65 laser died and was no longer made. So, while I researched a replacement I used my unmoded 105 for redbook too. After a lot of searching, I settled on a Marantz HD CD -1 for redbook playback. It had very good reviews and had most of the outs needed to use it as a transport, if/when needed. My preamp was a Audio Alchemy DDP1 ($1995), at that time sans PS 5 outboard PS ($695), which is a HUGE improvement over the DDP-1 without it. Go figure: LOL).

Many months later, I stumbled across Linear Power Supplies on Ebay for various Oppo cd players. I had no idea that upgraded Linear Power Modules existed, let alone that they were simple DIY screw in replacements for the OEM ps, let alone that there was a  number of companies making them. One company offers a number of LPMs at various price points from ~ $200-$500 (sorry I don't recall which one) provides super easy to follow photos. Also available are upgraded IECs with silver tails that connect to either the stock or upgraded LPMs. Like many of you, I was hesitant to dive in with both feet, but started by replacing the OEM IEC and a jumper to bypass the 110/220 switch. There were lots of choices, but settled on the Furutech Rhodium EIC with pure silver tail that snaps on the old or new board, and a jumper to bypass the 110/220 switch.I was so shocked at what that alone did, I bought a ~ $250 LPM . Later, I learned it sounds even better without the metal cover, which I then did. If you're concerned about dust getting into it, I bought a cheap air conditioning filter for my amp, but my 105 is pretty isolated

The result was so amazing I decided to bypass my DDP-1, which now had the outboard PS. IMHO, it was every bit as good as having the $2700 highly reviewed AA in the system, and likely better as I eliminated a power cord and a cable, both of which can affect the sound. In this case Less is More

For ~ $400 you will be amazed

hth
tweak1

Showing 5 responses by tweak1

When I was using Surfer silver XLRs the resultant sound was quite bright. As soon as I replacd them with WireWorld Series 8 the entire spectrum relaxed but at the same time has excellent detail
melm

Of course a lot more can be done to a 105. HOWEVER, my point is to let people know that they can do a simple (and significant) DIY upgrade for a LOT less than ~ < $2000 dacs, and as was mentioned, should a 105 owner decide to use it as a trans only, they will still benefit GREATLY from upgrading the PS